Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 872943 times)

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #6220 on: August 20, 2012, 23:35:08 »
A nice contrast in productivity: I sowed spring onions soon after I took over a new allotment in mid April. Yesterday, I picked the first one! 4 months for something a bit bigger than a pencil!
I also sowed around the same time 3 X 4ft rows on one bed of Ruby Chard and later 2 X 4ft rows of it on another bed. I have made two cuts of it already, one cut garnering about 3lb of leaf and stalk. Yesterday I picked 8lb 4 oz of the stuff!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #6221 on: August 25, 2012, 21:16:22 »
Had a first ever since 2005! Daughter dug up my Desiree and half a row of Cara, needless to say I was at a loss for words! She picked beans, french and runners, dibbed holes for my late planting of leeks, put them in and watered, bless her.

There has just got to be a reason for all her activity  ::) ??? ;D

Ninny  :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6222 on: August 27, 2012, 15:21:26 »
Yesterday was my second longish stint at the plot this month.

It was dry and warm so I set to weeding around the long line of raspberries and piling weeds on the compost heap.

Gradually the plot is looking more the way I'd prefer it to after a pretty washed-out, unsuccessfully chilly year. Hopefully next year I will have more enthusiasm and better results weather permitting.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6223 on: September 02, 2012, 14:15:09 »
Took photographs  :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6224 on: September 02, 2012, 17:44:57 »
Nothing today but yesterday harvested lots of courgettes |(been away for 10 days!) and raspberries, and dug over my onion patch, which yielded a barrowful of bindweed and couchgrass. ::)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6225 on: September 02, 2012, 18:08:45 »
Weeded every bed I have. Pruned blackcurrant bushes. Pulled up passed their best pea and broad bean plants.
My OH emptied the bottom of our compost bins .....the compost was lovely!!
After weeding gave the winter brassicas a chicken pellet feed.
Watered my Little Gem Lettuce and dwarf French beans.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6226 on: September 02, 2012, 19:06:21 »
Yesterday I moved another raised bed ready for my Winter onions, filled it with council compost and Chicken pelleted and watered them both
Watered Celery, Celeriac and Sweetcorn
Harvested spicey salad leaves, 3 carrots and a handful of Desire.  ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #6227 on: September 02, 2012, 19:39:42 »
Gathered in the rest of the Onions cut a cabbage,picked french and runner beans(thats another 5 bags for the freezer,dug some carrots picked courgettes and raspberry,s and dug some of the trial spuds we grew this time pentland javalin,Arran pilot, juillette,Milva,Marris peer,Roseval,Bintji,Pentland crown. Oh and a bit of weeding  ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6228 on: September 04, 2012, 15:24:19 »
Pruning pruning pruning.  After not touching the back garden other than lightly weeding over the last couple of years, it has becoming a jungle and things need splitting and shrubs need taking back, so I am being mean and everything is getting a major cut down, and I mean major.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6229 on: September 05, 2012, 02:17:42 »
Not in my garden but in that of someone I met as a result of my on-line search to buy a budgie or two.......

I went to the very edge of town to view budgies for sale and wow what a back-garden! The place was pretty ordinary from the front but like Eden once through the gate.

Although not large every part of the garden was filled: chicken coups, fish pond, a budgie aviary with two flights and a bird room, a finch aviary, small trees and a veg plot.

It was a real delight. I had meant to look closely at the aviary to see how it was constructed but there was so much to see... it was magical.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6230 on: September 06, 2012, 19:56:52 »
Washed lots of pots and gravel trays. Dried and placed in the shed. It's a job a find very relaxing and I love the thought that are ready for next year. I have plant labels to clean tomorrow. the allotment shed needs a tidy too. I am the only person getting ready for winter?!!
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #6231 on: September 06, 2012, 23:18:28 »
Waterproofs on and tried to salvage the damage from a much windier day than I expected, earthing up kale and calabrese and removing tipped over onions. 

Cut down 2 toms that were blighted. Watered (!) my 3 plastic weave sacks of home guard, cursed the scallions for being way too lazy, inspected VERY early PSB with mouth watering.

Slug pelleted. Again. I'm starting to become convinced that they've become resistant to metaldehyde. Plenty about but not so many dehydrating, slimy ones.

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #6232 on: September 07, 2012, 00:47:52 »
Had to sneek another carrier bag of runnerbeans into the house.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #6233 on: September 07, 2012, 05:40:02 »
Watered and weeded yesterday and harvested Carrrots, Beetroot, First Swetcorn and French Beans.  ; :D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6234 on: September 08, 2012, 14:04:19 »
Hung up the washing...... hoping to escape to the plot tomorrow though.  ;)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #6235 on: September 11, 2012, 20:16:40 »
Watered, composted and harvested carrots, runners, F.beans and an assortment of different spuds.   ;D

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #6236 on: September 11, 2012, 20:35:36 »
Pulled up the sweetcorn all finished (boo) but it was very nice , dug some spuds,picked courgettes,weeded and watered and scoffed some raspberrys ;D

100mph

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6237 on: September 11, 2012, 20:43:40 »
Today, as every session I hunted down mares tail. I also failed to take a picture of the mega-squash that might be a pumpkin, picked cucumbers, hoed and watered climbing beans.
I spent some time on my plotshare, clearing away bonfire ash and weeding. Now waiting on the weather to be more neighbour friendly before I have another burn.

Darkness now falls much too early - it's difficult to approve of such an arrangement.
My Suffolk allotment is a fine example of 'how not to do it'.
Muddling through with excessive effort for minimal return from 4 rods since 2008.

carroteater

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6238 on: September 14, 2012, 08:06:38 »
Last night picked: 4 Sweetcorn, runner beans, pulled up a turnip, planted winter cabbage and weeded the raised bed than I planted winter cabbage in last week. My sweetpeas were also cut down and went in the compost bin.

Stephen

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6239 on: September 14, 2012, 08:28:45 »
Sounds a good haul carroteater.
Welcome to A4A  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal