Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 884583 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #4980 on: May 21, 2011, 20:24:05 »
Seems like no ones done much for a while
nah, just forgot to put it on  ;D
transplanted som webbs wonder lettuce, some more squash, leeks, planted up some more roma toms, 'firkled' some more new spuds for my mum in law and us for tea, sowed some more peas and ran out of compost so tidied up around the compost heap, oh, and mulched up the spuds with straw   ;D

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #4981 on: May 21, 2011, 20:42:57 »
Weeded  >:( and Weeded  >:(   thats what happens when you dont keep on top of things !

Planted up a hanging basket for my friend  :)

Looked at seedlings ........ yes after much staring and willing of them to grow, I have finally got some seedlings  ;D

Pulled more algae from pond  >:(

Then it got windy and started to rain, so that was it for the day LOL

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #4982 on: May 21, 2011, 20:47:13 »
Lots, re potted Tomatoes started hardening the outdoor ones, sowed winter brassicas, annuals wallflowers and sweet williams, been to allotment had another fire, started digging up roots with my new Mattock.

Bought more canes for later crops of Runner Beans and ha d a general tidy up.

Phew, Might have Sunday off,  ;D

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #4983 on: May 21, 2011, 22:09:43 »
Not much.
Re-sowed courgettes and cauliflower, sowed more dwarf french beans.
Watered young plants which are still inside g'house -kale, broccoli, toms, peas, cucumber, sweet peas, blackberry plants-successfully taken as layered cuttings 8). I'm biding my time with these as we have had strong winds for past week  on the NE coast & i don't want to plant out & find them damaged, dried out or snapped.
The re-sown flat leaf parsley & coriander are already through after only a few days
Indoors on sunny window sill are 4 healthy aubergine plants which I've grown for first time & approx 28 young capsicum plants which are making very slow progress
Tomorrow I will plant out my 7 remaining sweetcorn plants from the original 16 I had sown :-[

This year has been an odd one, with some seeds growing weakly then dying off & others not growing at all (lettuce would you believe!)

Debs

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4984 on: May 22, 2011, 09:39:55 »
Quiet weekend on the lotty, went up to the 'High Peak' on Friday to Edale with my lad and went over Kinder Scout on Saturday morning, that bloody 'Grindsbrook Clough' I was knackered when I got to the top, just back from the lotty after watering the sweetcorn, :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4985 on: May 22, 2011, 10:53:18 »
Watered, cut stinging nettles to soak for feed. Ate first two ripe strawberries. The people that Joe Swift gave his strawberries to look very good (the strawberries, not the people, although they also looked good), so have been promised some runners. Planted sweetcorn. Got some water from one OF OUR NEW WATER TANKS, admired our new green fence and new gate. Walked around looking at other people's plots for ideas, and to chat.  Said hullo to Italian family and got offered a mars bar, which I refused, admired their wild fennel, and got offered that, but said just wondered how they cooked it, but as the answer was in Italian not much wiser. Admired the strawberries and got offered a taste, but refused again, it is embarrassing but nice everytime I say something is growing well, they give me some, and I was not begging just admiring.   Went on the neglected plot to see if there were any hidden strawberries but found a dead rat, so didn't continue with that idea. Went home with a small bunch of sweet peas (which I grew) and they smell lovely.  Peas are doing well. (This was yesterday), just off to see if anything has grown in the night, windy here today.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #4986 on: May 22, 2011, 20:20:14 »
Was horrified at how much the weeds have grown
Weeded strawberries, lettuce and beetroot beds
Thinned out lettuce and picked radishes (yummy salad for tea)
Noticed that parsnips have finally germinated  :)
Finished building luxurious broccoli cage and planted out PSB into it
Netted currants
Planted out tomatoes
Earthed up spuds
Drank tea
Started off new batch of comfrey fertiliser
Chatted to new allotment neighbours
Wondered how to get rid of massive red ant colony that has taken over the whole plot
Made list of all the things I still have to do.....

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4987 on: May 22, 2011, 20:24:37 »
Probably a waste of time as it was so windy, but watered anyway. Also weeded and strimmed, and emptied a dalek compost bin to use for mulch- just hope I haven't spread too many weed seeds!
At home, potted up some cosmos grown from saved seed, so thanks to the A4A person who gave me the seed last year!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4988 on: May 23, 2011, 20:25:50 »
Again too windy, but I did stick my fork under my rockets and got myself a meal for tomorrow.  ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #4989 on: May 23, 2011, 20:30:08 »
Shaded the green house, staked all tall plants as we are suffering terrible gales. Pricked out my Roma sauce tomatoes. Had a fumble with my first earlies, (Not ready yet) sowed more winter brassicas and collected some more Hazel for my stickmaking.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #4990 on: May 24, 2011, 18:57:37 »
Earthed up two rows of lates and give all the spuds the biggest watering ever.   ;)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4991 on: May 24, 2011, 19:05:39 »
Dug and planted out 4 bon bon squash.Planted out the naff chrysanths I had ordered. Painted a planter. Went to the other plot and planted 2 more bon bon and sowed some fennel and planted some caraway that I grew from seed .Dug another tatty up for tea and picked 3 little gem and some parsley for the rabbit.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #4992 on: May 24, 2011, 21:17:34 »
I just come back from the lottie with a punnet of strawberrys and 3 onions.     :P

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4993 on: May 24, 2011, 22:29:48 »
Harriet and I had a nice long walk into the village around the shops and back she had her first lollypop and we both got sticky :) As the weather was nice, not 2 windy and not raining tonight while she was asleep i have managed to pull 1/2 a brown recycling bag of weeds and a bit of tidying up still lifting slabs before sunday looks like i have a good chance of getting the patio done sunday which means monday husband can help me cover the planting area with membrane to stop any opportunist weeds taking over.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4994 on: May 25, 2011, 23:22:02 »
Checked the bees and dug a few square feet. That was all I could manage, I'm still recovering from doing the kitchen floor.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4995 on: May 26, 2011, 16:44:49 »
Yesterday spent all day planting up the home greenhouse with 36 tomato plants, 5 cucumbers, 8 melons. Knackered myself, then today went down the plot to plant out the sweetcorn. I live about 2 miles away, and it has been pouring down here the past 24 hours, but at the plot it was bone dry! I had to water everything! Anyway the sweetcorn are in, I haven't put the plastic bottles around them this time, just to see if it makes any difference or not. Ate the first of my new strawberries, seem ok!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4996 on: May 26, 2011, 17:14:41 »
Took our 3 year old grandson to plot 1 today, he had new gardening gloves and wanted to dig up some spuds for his mum. We dug up 3 red duke of york and he gleefully mauled around in the soil, it went everywhere but we got a carrier bag full  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4997 on: May 31, 2011, 19:00:47 »
planted out Matthew and Callum's pumpkins, while Matthew watered everywhere and hoe, hoe, hoed lots of weeds, wonderful what a 3 yr old can do  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4998 on: May 31, 2011, 19:20:58 »
Had a day off and it was a lovely sunny day so got loads done. Collected 12 bags of hops and earthed up and mulched the spuds. Weeded and dug over two patches, planted out 40 leeks, a few French beans, 2 pumpkins. Hoed off weeds and dug up more bindweed, planted out some cornflowers. If I have the energy will pop down this evening to do some watering and spread some more hops.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4999 on: May 31, 2011, 19:34:47 »
Cleared an area of fat hen and Planted out sweet corn.   Watered brassicas I planted out yesterday.  Where did yesterdays rain go.

Too hot to do much.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal