Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 878217 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #4680 on: March 27, 2011, 18:54:18 »
Planted out a few Saxon spuds that one of the blokes on the lottie gave me
Turned the soil mixing in council compost with cultivator and lined ready for the Kestrels to go in
Tied in Raspberrys and watered
Watered back garden
Bunged in a few spuds in a large pot in the back garden
 ;D ;D ;D

MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #4681 on: March 27, 2011, 19:16:16 »
Built a base for the shed extension with decking, metpegs, bricks, gravel and paving slabs.

Plot is on a slope, started levelling out the ground around the shed (AKA beer drinking and BBQ area) and barrowing up the soil to the upper terrace. Now the gooseberry and blackcurrant on the top terrace are one foot too deep. Hmm....

Tended my clematises - 15 and counting!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4682 on: March 27, 2011, 19:20:03 »
OH had me fetch and carry while she did a few beds...
so I potted up and gave away loads of Day Lillies, Shasta daisies and Lucifer... for the plant sale in the summer..  :)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4683 on: March 27, 2011, 19:24:11 »
Nothing - had a day off to do some needlework & watch Sammy the scarecrow fluttering in the breeze over my newly sown seeds.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #4684 on: March 27, 2011, 19:32:44 »
In garden:-
first grass cut of season, lots of weeding, re-planting of an u/k geranium which self seeds everywhere,
planted remaining potatoes (sante, pink fir & belle de fontenay) into potato bags, indoor sowing of sweetcorn (incredible f1) and courgettes (black beauty)
Achey back now. . .

Debs :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4685 on: March 27, 2011, 19:39:33 »
Put netting over the onions which I planted out last weekend and had been chewed. >:( Planted out broad beans and put protection round them.
Sowed toms, peppers, aubergines, basil, salad leaves and calabrese and put red onions in modules.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4686 on: March 27, 2011, 19:49:55 »
Sowed some carrot seeds in black bins. : and covered them with fleece.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4687 on: March 29, 2011, 08:51:34 »
Was working just one night on its own Sunday night so, had 3 hours sleep then down the plot all afternoon to keep me awake! ;D

Finished distributing the manure pile AT LAST!!! Hurrah! The blooming thing has been sitting where the last of my shallots need to go out, they are stuck in modules and desperately need to get in the ground now poor things. Amazingly it was still very wet in the centre, the whole thing froze in the cold weather and I'm sure it has only just thawed out! However, ivy had managed to sneak underneath during the winter so I had a load of roots to tease out unfortunately.

Kept awake by digging those final two beds over and then got all of my potatoes planted out. Their beds had been covered with black plastic for the past two weeks, so the soil was nice and warm for them. It brightened up and was sunny for a while, lovely! Today I'm going down again to plant out the shallots, and might be tempted to look in Aldi, I noticed they had some fruit bushes in pots at £2.99 the other day......
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4688 on: March 29, 2011, 12:26:55 »
planted another 3 kg of spuds (rocket), sowed parsnips, ipomoea, mitsuba and peas, planted out the first early peas and did a bit of path maintenance - decided not to water and I bet sod's law it won't rain tomorrow as it is supposed to  ;D - at home potting on tomatoes and marigolds

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #4689 on: March 29, 2011, 14:27:32 »
Over the last few days have sown various pea varieties - thank you twoflower and seed circle 2010 - largely to grow for seed and am about to sow the ones which we will actually eat.  Yesterday finished repotting our vine tomatoes and put some old summer squash seeds onto damp kitchen paper to test viability; later on today will be sowing our bush tomato varieties.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4690 on: March 29, 2011, 18:02:49 »
took another dozen tomatoes to put in the mini greenhouse inside the poly, space on windowsills for peppers now  ;D
sowed long and red cos lettuce, berlicum carrote and transplanted sunflowers into root trainers  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4691 on: March 29, 2011, 19:44:22 »
Potted on Cauli Romanscu
Layed down plastic on the path and finished my three very large bags of woodchip, now got to find some more.  ???
 :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4692 on: March 29, 2011, 19:50:35 »
Ohhhh I am soo behind! never mind off work for three weeks and one day now :D :D :D
Thats why its raining for the first time in about two months :(

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4693 on: March 29, 2011, 19:54:41 »
I am persisting with my straw bale experiment, so watered all 12 of them heavily today after sprinkling them with sulphate of ammonium to add nitrogen. They are supposed to be heating up and composting, but they remain cool and wet.... Any advice?

Planted a lot of onion sets, and dug out more heavy weeds for a potato area. Huge quantities of buttercup and grass from a year of neglect, but not quite as bad as the first dig into a heavily weedy meadow 2 years ago.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #4694 on: March 29, 2011, 20:20:16 »
A bit more diggin very nearly done  :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4695 on: March 29, 2011, 20:56:39 »
Been very busy hoping for some rain tomorrow.  Sowed some carrots, radishes and cabbages. 

Planted some spuds, international kidney, home guard, edgecott purple and shetland black. 

Weeded some of the strawberries and fed them.   Put in a couple of rhubarb crowns which arrived yesterday wished they had arrived several weeks ago. 

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #4696 on: March 29, 2011, 21:10:06 »
have a bad back  :( so didnt do what i had planned for today

but still managed to dig over a bed ready for my maincrop,its all set
and watered my greenhouse seedlings.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4697 on: March 29, 2011, 23:57:05 »
Productive evening... home slightly early due to lift rather than bus, so got a solid hour and a bit in on the plot digging... not much left now, four or five hours should see it pretty much done.....got home, ate tea including homegrown spuds, mini cauli and frozen beans from last year, then potted on 75 tomatoes and chillis aqnd assembled new coldframe in kitchen (too  late to be banging around outdoors...) very pleased with myself all things considered...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4698 on: March 30, 2011, 10:42:39 »
nothing on the plot today but 12 california peppers transplanted before babysitting  ;D

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #4699 on: March 30, 2011, 11:06:52 »
I had a productive day yesterday cutting back the bloomin Ivy that hubby refuses to cut. I have uncovered much of the fence and reclaimed a good two feet of patio. I will never understand why hubby refuses to cut anything back ??? I shall be for it tonight when he spots his Ivy gone. Oh well I cant stick it back ;) ;D Sowed parsnips, two types of carrot. radish and spinach. Planted out cauliflower, red and green cabbage seedlings and covered them with plastic grow tunnels.
Today i Shall be sowing more carrots, mesculin lettuce,beetroot, peas and more raddishes and re-positioning the plastic greenhouses. I shall scrub and bleach out the new chicken house which will give it time to dry before the red mite treatment arrives and then I can treat it again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal