Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 881957 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #4300 on: January 31, 2011, 14:46:33 »
Finished buildinga storage structure in the garden for my lighting rigging, pulled out the two little ponds in the garden and sent them on their way to the freecyclers who had requested them, collected a trailer load of manure, took it up to the plot but ended up giving it to one of my neighbours as I didn't have anywhere prepped for it to go, did some more digging and realised the ground is easy enough to work ATM so will try and get up their early AM now...., I should get in half an hour of digging before I have to catch the bus....
Knocked down a small bit of wall that needed to go to accomodate the new greenhouse plan and filled the smaller of the two pond holes with soil from the bed in the poly tunnel (which also has to go)

Need to see if I can get the polytunnel top off cos it will make my life a lot easier re: filling the other pond hole.....

chrisc

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #4301 on: January 31, 2011, 15:18:33 »
got some  of my spring cleaning done, although there is alot more to do. But I was cut short by 45 mins as I had to pick up a sick boy from preschool, d**n this tummy bug that is going round the kids, its interfering with my allotment time.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4302 on: January 31, 2011, 16:56:55 »
As the Sun  8) was shining I went to the lottie for the first in over 5 weeks, I had a potter about, a bit wet still but will give a quick dig and weed this week, met a newbie on site and had a chin wag for about 15 minutes with the fella, nice bloke an all.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #4303 on: January 31, 2011, 17:14:39 »
Got home from work and  cleaned out the bird tables fresh water , and food. Filled deep trays ready for cabbages, and cauliflowers will sow the seed tomorrow. I can normally plant out onion sets  in march with a bit of fleese  for cover  so i have not bought any yet.
m j gravell

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #4304 on: January 31, 2011, 17:17:23 »
Happy, happy, happpy, got some digging done at last, the plot is drying up nicely, going to put in the shallots in  tommorrow :)

On a sad note the little ***** had broke 2 more panels of glass in the greenhouse >:( >:(

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4305 on: January 31, 2011, 17:37:36 »
spread some 3 ye old manure on one of the rhubarb patches, and also onto the main Comfrey bed, pruned a gooseberry bush, and potted up 4 rooted cuttings from the same bush ( Invicta)
had a chin-wag with the new neighbour, and donated a load of compost to him ( his plot needs it!)
You couldn't make it up!

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #4306 on: January 31, 2011, 22:38:30 »
popped in yesterday to deliver some manure for my raised beds.

had planned to work on the plot tommorow and wednesday but the cold weather says otherwise,

the grounds frozen solid so if i dont break my fork i will break my wrists  :(?? :(

we shall see.....

pumkinlover

« Reply #4307 on: February 04, 2011, 12:46:10 »
Yesterday I finally finished cleaning up the strawberries and pruned the raspberries. :)

today went round to collect up a members' greenhouse frame which was rolling aound the site
then started on my own-the door had come off and several panes- I cleared up all the broken glass and OH put in some posts to try to stop the greenhouse moving in the wind.
We knew last year when we took over the plot and bought the greenhouse off the last plot holder that it needed a bit of work on it - but :-[ :-[ :-[ were so busy with other work like when you take over   a new plot that it did not get done.
Now no choice got to get it sorted!

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4308 on: February 04, 2011, 13:13:49 »
yesterday actually cos the weather so bad today I daren't go out  ;D weeded yet another bed (8 to go) and started clearing space on one of our big fruit beds for some plants and flowers, began sorting out all the compost bins and spotted a dandelion in flower  :o

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4309 on: February 04, 2011, 14:10:00 »
Wandered around gloomily, looking at my ramshakled greenhouse, roofless shed and scattered pots after the bad night of gales.

So grumpy at having to fix the gh AGAIN.  :(
Need a fixing slave.

x sunloving

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #4310 on: February 04, 2011, 14:40:05 »
Yesterday I dug some parsnips and leeks, toooo windy today.    :'( :'( :'(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4311 on: February 04, 2011, 14:41:36 »
Had a wander around picking up flower pots and seed trays that had been thrown around in the wind... but too windy to do any real gardening..  :'(

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4312 on: February 04, 2011, 14:58:26 »
That's really odd Kev because its windy here too.  ;D ;D ;D ;D  We have got compost next Friday.  ;D ;D ;D ;D  Plastic greenhouse hasn't taken off yet.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #4313 on: February 04, 2011, 17:27:36 »
Big clean up day very high winds  during the night few panes of glass broken will replace tomorrow with plastic which I bought on the way home from work had only just filled some of the pots but no damage thank god. Hope every body else  is ok and you did not have any damages
m j gravell

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4314 on: February 04, 2011, 17:39:06 »
Think Kev must be eating dinner, or gone to the pub, just waiting for a witty reply from him.  :D :D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #4315 on: February 04, 2011, 18:00:35 »
Ive just had my minted lamb chops and its windy now for sure,  :-[  we are having our compost delivered on the 11th.   ;D ;D ;D

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4316 on: February 04, 2011, 18:04:59 »
had a lovely day.was so good to finally be able to make a start  ;D hacked down an old fuschia on our new half,weeded the belfast sinks and added fresh compost,took out the last of the over winter stuff and started to dig this years brassica bed on the new half. came home full of joy and happiness!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4317 on: February 05, 2011, 16:18:50 »
sowed seeds - asparagus and celeriac and plan to sow the first peas in trays in the greenhouse this week, if it hasn't blown down and we are not flooded  :(

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4318 on: February 05, 2011, 16:31:05 »
Very windy here so thought I would sow a few seeds and put on the windowsill.

Time for some early peas and maybe try for a few calebrese - packet says February.

Thought I would sort out my seeds into months so I do not forget to sow any.  I think there are a few other Febs in there so I will seek them out.   

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4319 on: February 05, 2011, 17:34:21 »
started golden sunrise, tigerella and moneymaker, sorry, cleo, (for plant sale people )in the propagator, mixed leaf salad on the windowsill oh, forgot, franchi seed, long horn shaped peppers in the propagator, too.
on the plot, the seed potatoes are here, yaaay, just started them chitting in egg boxes in the dining room  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal