Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 885982 times)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #3480 on: April 11, 2010, 20:34:38 »
Everything!

Cheated and bought in some calabrese and cauliflower - mine have just germinated - so I will have succession!

Planted out 10 swede (an experiment) Will finish off the bed with direct sown seed in May.  Finished off the bed with a newly made debris netting tunnel cover - a lot less faffing about and way cheaper than Harrod Horti

Gave my no-show carrot seeds a stern talking to and a heavy water

Planted all toms in polytunnel - 4 each of Vanessa, Big Boy, Costulo Fiontura and Roma.  Also planted 6 dwarf bean in the poly.  All the seedlings are doing nicely.  I am wondering about the commando snails that scaled the galvanised legs of my seed table to eat the french marigolds :o but I got'em ;D

Admired the blossom on my plum tree and sent a no more frosts prayer up to himself

Realised that I don't know where I am going to put the Sweetcorn :-\

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #3481 on: April 11, 2010, 22:51:49 »
Weeded underneath the currant bushes, anyone ever tried to dig a large dandelion from the roots of currant bush, took me ages, and bitter cress can seed in the middle of the bushes too, patience required today  ::)

Ninny

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #3482 on: April 12, 2010, 16:07:25 »
sorted out my shed today and hopefully mad the mouse/mice homeless in the process, freecycled lots of stuff and now got room for the lovely gas barbecue we are going to treat ourselves too. hubby did help mostly from the comfort of his deckchair, metioned something about workers and managers, whatever lol ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3483 on: April 12, 2010, 16:16:04 »
...Absolutely nothing......well,,er...walking around checking nothing has gone wrong over night.. ::)..a spot of watering in greenhouse...and now I'm trying to get strengh back from busy weekend...why do we always go mad with gardening when first truly warm weather arrives... ::)...this girl has over done it..

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3484 on: April 12, 2010, 17:12:19 »
Hung out 4 loads of washing! Got backfrom hols at 2:30 this morning so not much energy for anything else!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3485 on: April 12, 2010, 17:18:29 »
got back yesterday to visitors so went today,
I'm amazed at how much things have grown in 4 days, all my lettuce, pak choi, oriental greens, carrots and spring onions have miraculously grown through, I have a flower on my forced strawberry plants, the forced rhubarb pushed the bucket off, kohl rabi up, planted some more tomatoes, some beetroot and long red florence onions grown in modules...a cucumber(under a bell jar inside) and a melon(ditto), sowed barlotti and haricot beans, hooligan and golden nugget squash..transplanted paprika peppers and california peppers..busy, busy  ;D

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #3486 on: April 12, 2010, 18:30:49 »
Spent the last 4 days clearing an area of 7mts x 5mts, not been used for many a year. But has been home to my raspberry and current supply for the past 3 yrs....
Finally took the bull by the horns and set about reclaiming it, bindweed , twitch, nettles abound and the raspberries, well! given away 30 plus to other plotters and re-planted another 30 0r so in other areas.
Now approximately 3/4 dug over, dig a row, down on hands and knees to remove all the weeds by the barra load....and still seem to have as many rasps as when I started.....Still soon be Christmas... ;) ;)

Some d**n good soil under them there weeds...a lot of it full off well rotted manure...so thats a bonus...
Pity realy I've already planted out my tatties , it would have been a great area to do so....now I've got to decide what to plant there....
Any thoughts , ideas gratfully recieved....cheers.. ;)

Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3487 on: April 12, 2010, 20:12:14 »
Planted out two lines of Cara, so thats all the spuds in now.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #3488 on: April 12, 2010, 20:32:35 »
Repotted all the houseplants into new soil and divided the aloe again  ::) anyone want a tiddly?

Ninny

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #3489 on: April 12, 2010, 20:38:26 »
spent the morning in the garden at home, adding 3 huge bags of soil improver to our newly cleared little veggie patch and planted some broad beans- then off to the lottie where I did some watering, rescued a HUGE bee from one of the water barrels, did some more digging around in our "roots" bed (have a feeling we might need to put spuds in there instead as the soil's like concrete!), then made our asparagus bed and planted 6 crowns.  Am hoping I've done it right- I now have 6 little depressions with soil banked up around each one - is this right?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3490 on: April 12, 2010, 23:10:58 »
put in the base for a greenhouse on a plot that a local church has just took over.
You couldn't make it up!

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #3491 on: April 13, 2010, 00:13:44 »
Hi Y'All

Dug out a sickly shrub from a dark dank border in my weeny front garden, firkled out the clay and shale which is only 3 inches down, added loads more garden compost and extra earth and planted a couple of much more suitable shrubs.

Thus inspired, I went out to back decking, and planted a huge new cordyline in a large pot Apricot Queen.  It's going to be a centrepiece for my mini bit of decking together with lots of red geraniums, dahlias and grasses all of which I potted on today.  A hot looking lot of pots, and I hope a hot summer.

I'm knackered!

Goodnight A4All!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #3492 on: April 13, 2010, 10:50:15 »
Started to sow the seeds for the farm shop.
Will be doing the ones that the kiddies like though, so as they sell well and do not sit around waiting for the hard enthusiast to come and take the lot at a reduced price.
Trays of flowers and Tommies to go when they are up, and then they will be just right for those that have not got the plants due to them being sold out in the shops.
Late sowing seems to be a great hit around here, they tend to go well if I get the timing right.
June seems to be better for people to buy in more of those gap fillers than May.
Marigolds are another that will sell well, also those little Tagetes which keep the edges of borders looking bright.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3493 on: April 13, 2010, 12:01:02 »
Had a Mantis session getting the ground ready for my carrots, parnips and beetroot this weekend, also sowed a row of peas, :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3494 on: April 13, 2010, 16:23:35 »
transplanted my black krim tomatoes (seeds from a friend on here, thank you)..sowed sweetcorn, purple podded beans, potimarron pumpkin and orange banana tomatoes (more seeds from a friend on here, thank you)
hand pollinated peach flowers, gave away some surplus marmande and oxheart tomatoes, planted up some hanging baskets for the plant sale  ;D

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #3495 on: April 13, 2010, 17:24:35 »
Planted out my Gooseberry bush in the only bit of the boarder not overgrown with Bluebells.
Watered lots and replanted the Radishes that my youngest pulled out. :o ::) (at least I got to see how big they are)
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3496 on: April 13, 2010, 18:05:58 »
I sowed mini pops and incredible sweetcorn before work today, It feels great to be sowing half hardies at last a real sign of summer comming:)
x sunloving

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3497 on: April 13, 2010, 20:03:36 »
I sowed a line of parsnips
Mixed line of cabbages
Sweetcorn Incredible
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3498 on: April 13, 2010, 21:09:51 »
Pricked out 80 leeks, 80 Calendula, watered the greenhouses and some lines in the ground... resowed the cabbage and lettuce that OH had fried in the greenhouse...  :-X

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3499 on: April 14, 2010, 18:15:09 »
I took nine enormous black bags and a bundle of branches from my privet hedge to the recycling. Weeded a quarter of the plot. Cut up blue pipe for the enviromesh to cover my chard etc. I may have a new fence where it had holes in, but the bunnies are still getting in and munched a bunch of stuff yesterday!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal