Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 886786 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #340 on: February 03, 2008, 09:06:06 »
I thinkI'm still tired, just read this as me and my milkman  ;D
off up to the plot again after, just got to go to the allotment shop for spuds  :)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #341 on: February 03, 2008, 09:40:26 »
Yesterday did 12 until 5 moving poo,but as you can have too much of a good thing I'm not going to the plot today, instead I'm going to Potter around my garden at home.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #342 on: February 03, 2008, 10:00:12 »
Finally espaliered the apple trees yesterday.  The Cherry and Plum will be 'fanned' around May

Plan to be in the garden today, it's looking a bit dark at the mo, I hope it doesn't rain because I'll have no excuses to not do the IRONING :-X

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #343 on: February 03, 2008, 16:16:19 »
took lots of bacopa cuttings , we burned all the old wood in the new incinerator, the lads were trying to fix the generator which had a fit yesterday..took the cardboard off the potato bed in the poly, there were loads of worms..raked it ready for next week and covered with fleece.. ;D
knackered now  ;D

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #344 on: February 03, 2008, 16:28:14 »
finally got the plastic down on a bit of uncleared plot - gona get tatties into it shortly - need time to go get wood for and to make raised beds - where does the time go lol

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #345 on: February 03, 2008, 16:33:12 »
Dug 9sq metres of rough ground, tomorrow I will finish the last 9sq metres off and  thenI will have 125sq metres to play with, ;)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #346 on: February 03, 2008, 16:43:00 »
too wet an windy for me today  :(

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #347 on: February 03, 2008, 17:16:37 »
I put in three lines of shallots today, and I went out and bought some PFA'S as they were getting low in stock, also OH bought me an electric propergater for my birthday. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #348 on: February 03, 2008, 17:39:51 »
Cleaned the chickens out and took two large bags of chicken litter to the lottie for the heap. Pulled a few weed seedlings, had a walk round and surveyed all I've dug so far on the new plot and how much is left to do.

Not   too much as it happens ;D
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #349 on: February 03, 2008, 18:00:41 »
We rough-dug over an area about 100 square feet of which we had previously removed loads of brambles and blackcurrant roots and removed 3 huge poles that had been set 3ft into the ground. I just have to clear the bindweed roots now  ::) I also have sown 25 varieties of chilli (3 of each), 2 types of aubergine and 1 type of sweet pepper in propagators. Yesterday I pricked out about 60 giant onion seedlings into individual loo rolls. Am feeling quite pleased with myself!

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #350 on: February 03, 2008, 18:07:09 »
We spent 3 hours up ours in strong wind  ;D
Hubby rotavated the manure into the potato/onion patch and i cleared an old compost/dumping area of couch, mares tail and other junk !! left by the last people ! why do people always think that plastic, glass and couch ect will make usable compost  >:(
Have just sown loads of ornamental grass seed and pricked out some seedlings.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #351 on: February 03, 2008, 18:39:36 »
got in the car, got as far as the gate but the wind was just so stong i could not get the car though the gate without being side swipped by the gate so locked up and went home.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #352 on: February 03, 2008, 18:43:55 »
Nantled... while OH cleaned a greenhouse, then put Mushroom compost into the border.. dug some leeks, cut some purple cape cauli, parsnips, celery and celeriac..
 ;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #353 on: February 03, 2008, 19:27:31 »
Nantled - que?

No rain so no ironing ;D

Sorted one side of the garden, which I have neglected for the last two years trying to tame the allotment :-[

Divided perennials, mulched with manure, repotted the pots and planted bulbs.

Another two Weekends should see everything returned to normal.

Anyone want some Jasmine, I've got one that will be going ver soon.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #354 on: February 03, 2008, 22:18:18 »
I'd love some if you can post it! Will PM you
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #355 on: February 04, 2008, 01:11:56 »
Went to the plot today and found my beloved greenhouse a mangled wreck blown to the far end of the site.Also an old tin bath I had filled with spring bulbs on its side and all the bulbs spilled out.We have had very strong winds lately.We are going to try and get it up again but the bars are bent so not sure if we will be successful.Not the best of days on the lottie. :'(

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #356 on: February 04, 2008, 18:55:08 »
Sowed some peas in paper pots indoors.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #357 on: February 04, 2008, 19:05:13 »
At last I can post in this bit again! ;D

Drove myself down the lottie today....(triumphant pause..!) and spent a happy couple of hours tidying up. Took the wire mesh off my overwintered garlic and onions and weeded the beds, all growing strongly now. The eleghant garlic (from saved last years cloves) is just peeping through too.

Harvested two heads of Black Kale (fab), a swede and three big leeks. I'm going to have to think of quite a few more leek based recipes in the coming month as I still have about 30 to harvest and I will need that bed for potatoes soon!
Met up with some of the regulars, nice to catch up....happy day! ;D Had to go home and have a little lie down afterwards, poor old thing! ;D ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #358 on: February 04, 2008, 21:32:19 »
But nice to be out in the fresh air Deb?
Went to plot myself this pm, did loads, really feel I'm catching up now. It's taking shape gradually, but I confess to only having a vague plan  :-[. I'm sure it'll all be ok so long as I move stuff round. Put onions in and elephant garlic. Removed thug type weeds. Found sweet pea pods I kept from last season, now preparing to sow seeds in pots when I've had a read about the best way to prune raspberries. ::) No sign of the rhubarb yet, hope it's ok.
Smile, it confuses people.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #359 on: February 04, 2008, 23:20:09 »
My rhubarb has just started to peep through.Are you supposed to cover it straight away to force it or wait till it grows a bit? :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal