Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882980 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #320 on: January 27, 2008, 20:53:09 »
hiya, michael, nice to meet you
Manics - I LOVE your fruit cage - do you rent Ray out by the hour ;D ;D
d'ya know, the part you can see only cost £120.00, compared to bought ones, it was amazing value..also, it'll never fall down, he builds things to last  ;D
it's been nicknamed 'the conservatory'
rent him out, he'd do it for bacon butties if his back was okay  ;D
they finished off the drainage ditch today, just needs filling over the rubble with ash  :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #321 on: January 27, 2008, 22:31:37 »
to all hi  just started a new plot on sat .sun put some beans in. the weather down in the south west was very good.   :) so all the best to all

Hi Michael and welcome to A4A
Sounds like you have made a great start with your new lottie.
Don't forget to take lots of photos and also share them with us. We are all very nosey  ;D
Happy Digging
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #322 on: January 28, 2008, 11:34:42 »
not been to the plot today but I've sowed, in jiffy's hot wax peppers, chillies cayenne, sweet peppers and, in a pot, long red florence onions..we did really well with the onions from seed last year so, doubling up this year  :)

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #323 on: January 28, 2008, 11:56:05 »
Went up on Sunday afternoon to find the greenhouse roof on the path!
I think it's clear what I'll be doing today instead of building up the new greenhouse, which was the real plan.

These things are sent to try us, so they say. >:(

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #324 on: January 28, 2008, 12:14:07 »
yep, I stood to one side, medicine chest at the ready ;D
still managed to get the banana shallots in, lollo roso seeds sown, hoops on the hot bed, got peas, radish, mixed leaves and mustard and cress showing, the season's started , yaaaay  ;D

great piccies ... tell me about hoops and hot beads  :-X

Our plots were like a spring day on Sunday ... even the ground does not feel cold! 

Put in a second set of broadies ... picked the usual big bag of assorted greens, AND, in the greenhouse got in cabbages, sprouts, leeks, cauli and aubs for the airing cupboard

... oriental greens,  lettuce and chilies to follow asap
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #325 on: January 28, 2008, 12:29:52 »
hot bed, one of our square beds 4x3 foot, empty , 1st a layer of really smelly muck,or grass clippings, depending what we have, about 6"m covered with a layer of potting compost the same, hoops made of old double glazing strips or water pipe, covered with a sheet of plastic..planted up with early carrots, radish, lettuce and anything else we feel like trying..it will be a salad bed later, with a covering of old maure, once the level drops..just thought we'd try it  ;D
the other ones are done for melons, cucumbers, squash and courgettes, dig a hole, fill with smelly stuff, cover and mound with soil, plant on top, keeps them warm and well fed  ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:32:05 by manicscousers »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #326 on: January 28, 2008, 20:59:23 »
Harvested carrots and a leek yesterday, lightly turned some soil as well with my three year old, she harvested twelve wiggly worms.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #327 on: January 28, 2008, 21:24:42 »
Went to a committee meetine and fed a beehive which is getting perilously light. They're hybrids, not my own strain, which are probably producing too much brood for the time of year. Unfortunately I left my keys at church, and got well scratched up crawling through the thorn hedge.

franklynn

• Not So New ...
  • Wet In Doncaster
« Reply #328 on: January 28, 2008, 22:34:24 »
Measured it  25 X 10 m we sign for it tomorrow

micheal p

• Not So New ...
« Reply #329 on: January 30, 2008, 16:36:51 »
thank you all for the welcome i need to know the best place to buy a green house B Q or some where else    and the best time to plant new potatoes

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #330 on: January 30, 2008, 19:18:55 »
Wishing and hoping and hoping and praying.......then the babysitting request comes in ::)
Poor  Daughter 1, all she wants is time with her daughter, but more staff probs. So my plan for plotting tomorrow and Fri are scuppered. (I wouldn't ever say no, I'm so lucky) Roll on Saturday, rain or not I'm finishing the muck spreading.
Can't start any seeds off as I'm away at the begining of Feb, so I'm preparing to go like sh** off a shovel  on my return.
Smile, it confuses people.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #331 on: January 30, 2008, 19:56:42 »
Maggie you get in there and do her job. You'll be twice as fast so you can dig and she and jess can bond....?

OK maybe not...

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #332 on: January 30, 2008, 21:19:14 »
Ooooh Grawc, I don't know one end of an'orse from another :o :o,. Anyhow she'd only pick holes in my mucking out and I'd still be there at midnight and all the young gels would larf at me......... I'll stick to the grandma bit and dream of my little plot.(They have a good bond I'm pleased to say. ;))

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #333 on: January 30, 2008, 21:39:14 »
The "bargain" fig tree purchased at a Florida flea market got a copper bath today due to leaf rust which I hope won't kill it. ::)  Since we're away from home I'm reading all your Top Tips, learning some funny words you Brits say ("skip it" means something totally different here),
planning to enlarge rhubarb bed (but where?? Hubby worries about losing lawn) so I can try Adrian's rhubarb wine recipe. this year was my first attempt at crab apple wine and elderberry wine. Ate some mungbeans today I sprouted for a sandwich topping- that's what frustrated gardeners can grow can grow when far away from their "lottie".
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #334 on: January 31, 2008, 19:50:07 »
Turned over the last patch of soil, and was given some beetroots from my lottie mate.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #335 on: January 31, 2008, 22:38:17 »
Got down there and was nearly blown home! But bought some compost from the shop and can start sowing the chillis, peppers and aubergines in the propogater tomorrow.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #336 on: February 02, 2008, 21:33:29 »
The new fence and gates are nearly finished, when that's done, we can have the communal poly delivered..the spare shed got put up after the meeting and I transplanted some mixed leaves that have just come through, also sorted the big communal greenhouse and we decided on the surfinias we're buying as plugs for the plant sale hanging baskets  ;D
I'm soooo excited about the fence, just in case you couldn't tell  ;D
also, someone wants to put bee hives on the allotments  :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 21:35:10 by manicscousers »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #337 on: February 02, 2008, 21:37:58 »
It's freezing, it's snowing and there's a gale blowing!! Youmust be joking. ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #338 on: February 02, 2008, 21:42:15 »
it was snowing quite heavily first thing, grawc..then it dried up, still freezing and blowing a gale, generator on, 2 heaters and plenty of tea, bacon and eggs..also it was the monthly meeting and Graham, our fencer, will work in any weather  ;D
will take some pics tomorrow  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #339 on: February 02, 2008, 23:13:39 »
Looking forward to seeing the fence Mal.
 It's been lovely here this afternoon. Went to plot at 2ish with flask & buns, didn't stop till 4.30,by which time the light was beginning to fade. Nobody there but me and my walkman. Heaven on earth. Muck now spread on cleared beds and the remainder in piles at the ready for areas still not cleared, bean bed finished and supports moved (hurdle style).
Found some spuds that look edible and cut a Romanesco. Deffo do them again, they were a great success. Also found some parsnips-thought I'd dug them all up. Very satisfying day. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal