Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 894363 times)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #280 on: January 13, 2008, 17:45:28 »
Helped myself to another four barrows of free compost - that's 14 in total, still a load left, and I've got a big wheelbarrow  :o and piled it up over my asparagus bed, mulched the leeks and cabbages, and left the rest in a huge heap. Tried to dig over a bit of virgin ground but it was really hard going, nearly all couch grass mats. Will probably end up rough digging, sowing some turnip seed then covering the rest in black plastic to plant courgettes through later in the year. Started digging over my first spud bed. Pruned the apple tree and hoiked out loads of brambles. Showed someone round who might start on the community plot next door. Home in time for lunch!
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Tatiana

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #281 on: January 13, 2008, 18:52:58 »
yesterday, loads of digging (still!)  ;D it's slow work because I'm trying to pull out the couch grass roots as I go along... I don't think I've got the right technique though... I could hardly stand straight by the time I stopped!

checked Manics strawberry runners (thank you!  :)) - they seem happy. As are Saddad jostaberry twigs (thanks too!) - I keep wanting to pull them to see if they have any roots but will resist!  ;D

today, weather was too bad so stayed in and finally did a proper lottie plan. also order some seeds  ;D ;D ;D whoo hoo!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 18:57:31 by Tatiana »

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #282 on: January 13, 2008, 19:18:05 »
Tatiana, that sounds exactly like my technique!  ::)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #283 on: January 14, 2008, 10:21:17 »
I used to dig into a barrow so I didn't have to bend over so much when removing the couch from the soil, but that obviously takes a bit more heft to begin with.

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #284 on: January 14, 2008, 10:43:26 »
If you are digging in rows first dig a long trench one spit deep say and move all the soil taken out to the far end [to fill in your last trench]. Then dig the next row filling in the first trench with the arisings as you go.
The fact that the front edge of the row that you are digging always has a clear face makes for easier digging.
If this makes sense then the big secret is to always have you left foot in the trench [for right handed people] as you move along the trench. Your right foot is always at the top level. You will find the your left arm is so much nearer the ground for picking out the weeds and your back does not have to bend nearly as far. Just reverse for left handers.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #285 on: January 14, 2008, 16:39:20 »
 :) planted five pots of different sweet peas, then came home, gale force winds ,cold and raining,

plots under water again and rivers high >:( >:(
grow your own way

Tatiana

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #286 on: January 14, 2008, 19:28:05 »
and more rain forecast this week... sorry to hear about your plots shades :(

Bupster, glad it's not just me!   ;D

Barnowl, I'll give the barrow thing a go but I have noooo upper body strength so will see how it goes... would make it easier to see the roots too I imagine. I'm getting a bit obsessive about leaving bits in - inevitable but still not looking forward to seeing them poke through in the Spring  ::)

I haven't actually been digging a proper trench but I can see now it would make more sense  ::) especially as I've now got manure to add in too. Now it just has to stop raining for a bit!

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #287 on: January 14, 2008, 20:04:10 »
Rhubarb is shooting so covered one of the crowns with a tub filled with straw for insulation to get some nice early forced sticks.
Also planted some sarpo mira and arran victory seed potatoes in pots. The seed were from a set of nine types given as free, courtesy of a lovely member from Lincoln called Knitter. Not tried them before.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #288 on: January 16, 2008, 18:40:30 »
started to re position the raspberry canes that came with the plot,in june,dug up millions of bluebell bulbs,daffs and crocus.so re postitioned them too...got there at noon,and had to drag OH away as the light was failing,made new promise to each other to get there a lot earlier..in fact 8.30 am hahaha lets see..... still so much to do,came home and looked at our before photos,couldnt believe how far we have come x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #289 on: January 16, 2008, 20:55:23 »
Harvested a few parsnips the biggest weighing in at just over 850 grams, also some carrots, but most of them have been eaten alive  :'(  also took some PFA's home for some chips.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #290 on: January 16, 2008, 20:57:56 »
Today I just dreamed about the lottie. Only Thurs & Fri to go and then I can spend some blissful time shifting manure. LOL

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #291 on: January 20, 2008, 14:59:42 »
Nothing to-day, but saturday left the wife shopping at morrisons and went round to see Cambourne, left with load of seeds,
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #292 on: January 20, 2008, 15:32:32 »
yesterday, sowed red mustard, mixed salad leaves, greyhound cabbage, idol cauli, little gem lettuce, and chinese leaves in jiffy 7's..also sowed, in the hot bed..early market and early nantes carrots, 2 types of radish and some crimson forest spring onions..also planted up some of our 'volunteer' spuds in the pop up bags we bought last year, they had long chits on so they're in the poly
just thought I'd try some early crops, it worked last year  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #293 on: January 20, 2008, 15:49:28 »
Managed to make it up to site today it was very very very windy so i was not able to stay for long.

Came home with carrots, turnip, onion, parsnip, cabbage, swede & beetroot :)

Very annoyed as some IDIOT has abandoned a tame rabbit on the site (hutch and all) and hes eaten the tops off my last row of carrots and not just the tops but he top couple of inches :(

Hubbies washed and prepared all the veg while i have warmed up with a cup of tea.

The plots looking very weedy lots of grass popped up but its far to wet for me to do anything.

I am off to make pineapple upside down cake and wait for dinner to roast.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #294 on: January 20, 2008, 15:53:11 »
i got in the rest of my onions and garlic (delayed by dark nights, flu and bad weather). Probably too late now but they certainly weren't going anywhere in the box. I also shifted a load of mushroom compost on to my asparagus bed which is looking really rather nice now. Hoed some weeds, chopped back more raspberry canes and felt quietly pleased with myself. Brought home some celeriac and leeks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #295 on: January 20, 2008, 16:42:19 »
I forgot, we planted up the blackcurrants from wilkies, that was a job and a half, Ray had to dig big holes to put muck in, mound up as they're going in raised beds on the waterlogged part, anyway, they got watered in last night  ::) ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #296 on: January 20, 2008, 17:10:17 »
You are all so industrious! All my plans plotwards have been scuppered by Daughter 1s errant staff-she has to cover and I babysit. I am secretly planning to go tomorrow. Not going to mention it here in case it doesn't happen yet again.
Frustrated Plotperson of Essex.
Smile, it confuses people.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #297 on: January 20, 2008, 18:38:20 »
Emagggie i understand your flustration there is so much i want to do up there but with the weather i just cant :(

jockomorrocco

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #298 on: January 20, 2008, 18:51:46 »
today i planted out 12 raspberry canes,replanted some Rhubarb that i dug up and separated into 5 smaller clumps so i now have 9 rhubarb plants(why i don't know then had a fire to get rid of some old plants and stuff that was in the greenhouse

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #299 on: January 21, 2008, 16:28:23 »
Got there at last!! Prepared new bean area- French & runner,dug up the last of my parsnips :( (note to self, plant more next time)pulled out a barrow load of couch grass, and cursed all the dormant black bits of horsetail. Looks like I could have a bumper crop this year. ::).
Shifted the comfrey to the side of the new compost area and tried to move the cardoons. Hahahaha. I'm going to have to bribe a young man (I have one in mind) with a Sunday roast to dig them out for me.
Manure heap going down rapidly. Next is the onion bed.......I bought some elephant garlic to put in too, never grown it before, very interested to see what it's like.
Knackered now, 2nd cuppa and a bath, I think.
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal