Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 884822 times)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #240 on: December 16, 2007, 15:43:16 »
Nowt - too darn cold!

But visited the lottie on friday to put some peelings etc on the heap and it looked like a winter wonderland the frost was so heavy!  So no leeks could be pulled up!  The only other chap their was my old mate Wally - who has just moved plots and was having a potter about.  He always seems to be there!

Louise
XX
Grow yer bugger grow!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #241 on: December 16, 2007, 15:52:46 »
Got a few Wally's on my site. ::) ;)

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #242 on: December 16, 2007, 16:48:49 »
Went down today first time for three weeks just checked things over and dropped off three huge bags of shredded papaer from the office.

Worth going down as got invite to party in one of the sheds next Sat morning 10.30 a.m. - I volunteered to bring down mince pies and brandy butter.

Onions and garlic doing well !!! and managed to get a few leeks for the soup  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #243 on: December 16, 2007, 17:05:55 »
Got some Cabbage, parsnips, carrots and Leeks... dug out the Oca, disappointing but I know why..
Still not started the Chicons..
 :-[

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #244 on: December 16, 2007, 20:43:06 »
Collected some onions, looked at the frozen soil, and came home. I'm told that a plotholder was nearly run over in the lane last week by a recently evicted tenant who we think is responsible for a wave of vandalism. It's not proof, but hopefully the police will now think there's enough to go and talk to him.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2007, 21:25:22 »
Dug up a few leeks, put some supports around my bendy sprout stems  ::).
Cut greenery from the garden to make two Christmas door wreaths.
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2007, 22:24:17 »
Put manure on next years potato bed then retired to the lottie canteen for the Christmas party - and actually won a prize in the raffle! Round to friends for drinks then home in time to cook for son returning from first term at uni.
Not sure yet what to do tomorow, but I'm sure that I will find something.......just remembered...to renet the brassicas.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #247 on: December 28, 2007, 10:26:02 »
went to lottie yesterday and it was brill for digging and weeding,

put my jap onions in 4 months to late ::) some were sprouting in the bag ::) had to throw some away......

broad beans not up yet....

going there now to do a bit more before it rains

grow your own way

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #248 on: January 02, 2008, 12:45:56 »
I have had a good few hours on New Years Eve and New years dayon the allotment and feel absolutely brilliant for it - the best mood improving activity I know - especially when you achieve what you set out to do. For me this was to clear all the weeds and couch grass from my inherited fruit bed area on the newish lottie, cover with weed suppressing membrane and mulch. Just as I finished a robin set up song and the sun came out..........Heaven.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #249 on: January 02, 2008, 13:26:45 »
I went down on the weekend, I must pop down one morning this week before work as there are a few sprouts need picking (almost finished now, but they were lovely), a few leeks need pulling, a few cabbages need cutting. But actually I just like to admire it. It is a mess, ok, the perennials have gently died off, the artichokes are slumbering, the few brassicas left are leaning over but it seems to be in such a peaceful state of repose, I love the atmosphere, so different from the summer craze where weeds drive you potty, where you fret over the bugs and leaf rot and whether things can be picked or not. Now the work is over, everything is resting, all the successes and failures are finished with and you can dream about what you will do with it next season.
Lovely....
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #250 on: January 02, 2008, 14:04:24 »
Went to the plot a little while ago, well ok got as far as the car then abandoned the idea as it was so cold. You can feel the snow in the air.

I am going to get the hubbies winter bag ready just in case he gets stuck when the weather turns.

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
« Reply #251 on: January 02, 2008, 14:07:52 »
antipodes:
But actually I just like to admire it. It is a mess, ok

Thanks for that antipodes,  I've done the same 2 times, this xmas break.   Just gone to the lottie and just looked at it - nothing more.     There is lots to dig over ( new for this year, only got the lottie in April, not all dug yet ), but there is still plenty of time for that !

Here's to 2008 !!!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #252 on: January 02, 2008, 18:06:45 »
Feeling pleased with myself because I went down on NY Eve and dug over a patch that's not been used since we took the plot, as it had a big dip in the middle. Got loads of bindweed out and had a good go with the azada to level it out. Plan to put the spuds in there to break it up more later.
Extra pleased I did it then because it poured down yesterday and now it's bloomin' freezing! :D Armchair gardening only for the next few days!

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #253 on: January 02, 2008, 19:26:27 »
I went down at the weekend and new years Day (first one down there). Digging in manure and removing bind weed on a plot taken over last February. Planning to put in potatoes so they will get extra manure then which is needed as obviously has not been dug that deep before (Iam going down a spades depth).

I also had a robin keeping me company

Happy New Year to everyone

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #254 on: January 05, 2008, 12:04:54 »
Today I sorted out my greenhouse, ready for the new growth.  I also laid a path, hindered by my 10 year old son, who was actually a good help. 
I also put down weed proof membrane stuff on my raspberries, a head start on the summer weeds hopefully.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #255 on: January 05, 2008, 14:41:31 »
Dug around 4 ft by 1 ft of more or less solid couch roots, then abandoned it as a bad job as it was so muddy my shoes (the wrong ones, forgot to change them, bugger) were about six inches higher off the ground than when I started. Pulled loads of leeks and some spicy salad greens from my accidental salad green hedge (oriental salad packet off the front of a magazine, won't stop growing, flowering in January). Hacked a bit at the wildlife area (not deliberate) up by my shed. Decided I was hungry. Went home.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #256 on: January 05, 2008, 15:05:10 »
Set up our new compost bin (one of those plastic eco things) and put the first load of waste in there. Dug out a load of blackberry/blackcurrant roots on the new plot and made a pile for burning tommorrow. My other half roughly dug over about 5ftx2ft of the new plot. I uncovered the pile of 'black gold' left by the previous owner. This is a large pile about 6ft high of compost that has been there for about the last 7 years. It had weeds growing on it, but I have glyphosphated it and now it is starting to actually look like a compost pile!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #257 on: January 05, 2008, 15:55:19 »
I put some wire netting over the top of the chicken run to replace the cotton mesh that broke due to the weight of catching all the snow. I also clipped the a wing from each hen to stop them flying.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #258 on: January 05, 2008, 15:58:43 »
it was our agm today so, after that, transplanted 14 lavender plants to pots, the early spud bed is nearly ready..dug up my Marie Curie daffodil bulb and planted it in a pot..Ray cleaned down the poly plastic, looks like new  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #259 on: January 05, 2008, 20:31:51 »
Bought and assembled another wheelbarrow, to move all that muck... moved almost all of it. Cut the last of the "Summer" cabbage from the bottom plot. Now I am nipping into town for the last session of the Derby Winter Beer Festival!
 ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal