Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 887226 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #2160 on: April 12, 2009, 12:05:20 »
watered the asparagus bed at 8 am
You couldn't make it up!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2161 on: April 12, 2009, 13:06:45 »
well its yesterday i did it but i put out my aqua wotsit broadbeans under cloches, sowed my onion sets, put out other stuff under cloches for hardening off, did shed loads of weeding and partly emptied my compost bin and it has to said what was in there is amazing

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2162 on: April 12, 2009, 13:34:29 »
I've grown PFA once before. It's a lovely potato but I lost a lot. They formed on the soil surface immediately under the mulch, and as the mulch disappeared they were exposed. Then an early frost did for them. Nowadays I put on extra mulch if I need to to keep spuds buried.

simmo116

• Acre
« Reply #2163 on: April 12, 2009, 13:54:16 »
today me and the wife oh and little jack planted out some summer cabbages and done loads of weeding. jack mainly pulling up everything he shouldnt( is this a weed daddy????)  :o

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2164 on: April 12, 2009, 18:33:14 »
Tone planted Nadine and Sante potatoes whilst I planted some lettuce under a cloche.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #2165 on: April 12, 2009, 18:55:55 »
We laid a bit more of the patio at the plot, did some weeding, put fence posts in for the pergola. I have then been potting up various brassicas and flowers in the greenhouse. Am just going to go back to the plot now and get some rhubarb and maybe do some watering.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2166 on: April 12, 2009, 19:30:21 »
Did a bit more work on new fruit/herb area in my garden at home. It's looking good ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #2167 on: April 12, 2009, 19:34:25 »
Nothing. Stayed over at my sister's last night after a few bottles of red. All good intentions of getting up and home early went out of the window and by the time we got back this afternoon I just wanted to doze on the sofa. Still, it was a fun night with good food, wine and company. And of course.........

tomorrow is another day.........

Lottie103

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2168 on: April 12, 2009, 20:00:01 »
Severe case of digging overload today after being hard at it since the middle of last week (including being trapped at the lottie one evening last week til after dark when OH was out on a work social thing after forgetting my house keys - aarrgh :o). Left OH to carry on digging while I sowed some peas, beetroot, shallots, onion sets, last of the PFA, caught up with some weeding & admired my emerging tattie leaves  ;D.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #2169 on: April 12, 2009, 20:11:40 »
Put down some heavy duty weed membrane, and found that 25 x 2 metres was not enough.. got frustrated with yet another useless watering can I've just bought that piddles out all over the place and doesnt spray.

Made a raised bed out of an old bookcase to put strawbs in, and marvelled at how weeds have managed to grow in my manure heap that has been covered with black plastic + an old pond liner on top. Nuked lots of baby bindweeds.

Mainly stood around pondering what to do next.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2170 on: April 12, 2009, 22:00:22 »
Repaired and cleaned out pump and got waterfall going strongly in the pond at home. At the allotment, the soil was crumbly and easy to work after the rain - good for weeding. Tidied up the fruit area and borders, sowed a row of Spinach Tetona F1 hybrid, put cloches over First Early potatoes to speed them up a bit, harvested loads of rhubarb for daughter to take back with her to uni tomorrow (she loves it). Got very excited about the asparagus coming through strongly - some thick spears, promising a really good crop for the first time since I planted them in 2007.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2171 on: April 12, 2009, 22:48:50 »
Just a wander up to the plot this evening to have a browse.....second asparagus spear spotted, onions all seem to have rooted and now putting on leaves, potatoes just starting to break the earth, pea plants are finding their way up the mesh, fennel seeds have germinated. A nosey pigeon decided to land on my perp spinach seedling tray in the garden and upended the lot so repotted those. Most of the seedlings in the greenhouses have put on a growth spurt. Took some fuchsia cuttings and put the prop back in the garage till next year  :)

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #2172 on: April 12, 2009, 23:34:35 »
zilch but did pick some PSB

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2173 on: April 12, 2009, 23:54:40 »
Mulched some of the spuds.

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #2174 on: April 13, 2009, 01:21:33 »
im aching but feel good
ive put in 4 bags off tattys , first earlys sharlot, salad ??, and two main crop maris piper and disirree then i moved my horse poo into my pumking bed.  (about two tunne of the stuff) and rotavated it all in with a box of FBB . then i rotavated all of my beds , dam it looks good and also smells good with a ph of 7.0 to 7.5 with a clay base soil  ;D
were my horse poo was is were my toms are gonna go in, that bed is all sorted now
tomorrow im gonna sort out the edging and straighten all the lines up and make it look good

HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #2175 on: April 13, 2009, 15:43:13 »
I have sown  Beetroot, Lettuce, Spring Onions, Turnips, Parsnips,Carrots and Peas. all in all a bloody good day  ;D ;D
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2176 on: April 13, 2009, 15:51:18 »
Planted thirtysix cabbage then covered with netting put in two rows of carrots and beetroot had a weeding session between my broad beans which are now showing and put in twenty parsnips, :)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2177 on: April 13, 2009, 15:55:25 »
 ;D planted my Nicola spuds,sowed my melons and yet more tomatoes,cleared a carpet away to dig a bed and had to re home 4 toads and a newt ;D did a bit of digging and shaped the beds, moved a globe artichoke, chatted to my lottie neighbours one helped me with the digging :o and soaked up the rays, a lovely day/ shades x
grow your own way

melann

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2178 on: April 13, 2009, 16:15:13 »
what a great day
i planted late onions carrots sprouts and i filled two baths and one with carrot seed in and the other with carrot seed and a few well sprouted garlic cloves raked a few beds over and admired the sun  ;D

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #2179 on: April 13, 2009, 16:24:28 »
So gorgeous today.  We spent 5 hours at the lottie and we:

laid wood chips on all the paths
planted an apple tree and cherry tree
planted 2 blackcurrant bushes
laid brick edging along a new path
planted raspberry canes
planted 5 rows of spuds
unloaded 36 bags of soil improver

basically worked like slaves and are now totally cream crackered but really pleased with the results.
 ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal