Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 855271 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 19:13:49 »
Nowt on plot, but I put a request in to Daughter ! to afirm that I can still help myself to rotted horse poo from the farmers pile.  ;D Then I will go like the clappers to clear a space (beans down and so on) to pile it.
But I have had a lovely day sewing and now I will continue. ;D ;D ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 19:59:31 »
I did nothing either as i had to take the car into town for the MOT.

It was raining when i got home so i ended up making Potato and Marrow soup which is so yummmmmm

Marrow, Potato Soup

1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 LB peled, diced marrow (APPROX)
12 OZ peeled, diced potatoes (APPROX)
2 TSP sugar
2 Pints Chicken stock
salt and black pepper

In a large pan, sweat the onions and garlic, over a gentle heat in a little
of the stock and a thingy of butter.  When soft, add the marrow, potatoes, turn
them all to coat in stock, cover and sweat again over low heat for 10
minutes.  Add the sugar, stock and seasonings, bring to a boil and simmer
for 20-30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender, cool, liquidize in the pan.

I did not have enough marrow so i added about 4oz of turnip to top it up.

This is an adapted recipie from one i found on here via the search function :).

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 20:37:48 »
Now that sounds really yummy  :)

:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 20:45:19 »
It was just come back from the shop to have the soup with crusty loaf - very yummy

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 15:13:32 »
Checked me allotment and dropped of some scafolding poles for my blackberrys, before meeting up with Cambourne and Kea .
had tea at cams house, and wow had some mega cookies ,home made by cam, dinner plate size yummiee.

Got loads of advice from Cam and Kea was a great day meeting them, as im a rookiee gleened loads of tips, and seeds,
thanks Cam and Kea.

cheers
Steve
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 19:43:28 »
not much,started rainging soon as we got there,so sat in the car with our cuppas lol x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 19:55:00 »
Ran around like a thing possessed for every other b*gger in my family and didn't get to plot as planned. >:(

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007, 20:08:22 »
this week I have been thinning out the strawbs (I saw a lizard wow) so today OH and I dug where they and the sweetcorn was desspite the recent rain it was still very dry :-[ after I worked on a blog I am trying to put together and fiely managed to put some pics on it ;D link coming when it,s shareable
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2007, 20:09:49 »
Look forward to it OMarg. :D

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007, 22:30:36 »
Got down to the lottie before the rain started - counted the squash, cut down the comfrey, had tea in the canteen then cut some cavelo nero for tonights soup  - puy lentil and cavlo nero soup topped with parmesan. Got home from work just in time to heat the soup up and watch Gardener's World!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2007, 09:14:47 »
(This was yesterday). Harvested most of the sweetcorn as some beastie was starting to nibble at some- got over 20 cobs so pretty pleased after my disaster last year. Picked a few courgettes, raspberries, beans and toms, then dug over the main potato patch. Found a few pots I'd missed along the way. Extended the patch a bit by digging out some more grass. Sowed some mustard seed in this patch, though I think it may be a bit late.Then went home for a bath- and I'm still aching today!

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2007, 09:54:49 »
Yesterday i went to my plot with some of my new toys, a sheen flame gun and a new strimmer, things got out of hand a few months ago when my father in law had a stroke, i had to spend a load of time running my wife(his daughter) & his wife to and fro to hospital, now he's out and back on his feet i can spend more time on the plot and try to tackel the weeds, ohhhhh what joy to see the weeds toople when the strinner hit into the tall ones and when the flame gun hit the low weeds, they danced around, helplessly, i'll give it a couple of weeks and pop over again to burn off the died weeds and do it all again, in time for the new rotavator to hit into the soil,
windy ;D
my allotment
heaven

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2007, 10:10:43 »
Did some more digging on a nasty patch of ground elder.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2007, 14:34:32 »
dug in some green manure, starting cutting down the raspberries, planted out the spring cabbages and harvested a load of carrots, calabrese, red cabbage, mizuna, rocket and corn - all to be eaten over the weekend - I was the only person on our plots, folks must prefer shopping instead  ::)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2007, 18:36:17 »
steve i am glad you had a good day.

Today, i managed to top up my asparagus bed and my herb bed with more compost.

I found 2 mint plants that had found there way into my plot and managed to get them and pot them up so they dont go everywhere. Also surprised that some sage seedlings i had have managed to take and i have 2 good sized plants.

I managed to partial dig out one of my raised beds and partial fill it with compost and clear some paths either way i put 3 barrows of weeds in the compost bin and 3 barrows of compost into the bed.

I also took 1/2 a bag of rhubarb cut and thats home ready for crumble making :)

Only manged 3 hours as i was shopping earlier.

with anyluck i can have another couple of hours on the plot tomorrow while the soil we got delivered lasts.

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2007, 20:25:05 »
Today I went shopping in the morning to try and find some presentable, proper clothes to wear for my new job, but spent most of the time worrying as I got A WEED LETTER  :(  :(  yesterday.

Am really ashamed of myself as I know that I really let things slide over the summer holidays. I went down for an hour or so later on and waged war on the weeds. Only stopped when I realised it was too dark to really see what I was doing.

Am getting up early tommorrow and blitzing the whole plot. My OH ha promised to help me make 2 or 3 more raised beds which will make things look a lot neater and less random

Tabby

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2007, 20:38:04 »
sorry to hear that tabbycat i will cross a couple of fingers for you that the weather stays good.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2007, 21:02:18 »
I went to the allotment with the intention of digging up a whole raspberry bed but there are so many raspberries still coming that I couldn't do it. I ended up picking a punnet full. I picked a sweetcorn, there are about 15 ready but my freezer is full so thought it best to leave them on the plants. Collected a few courgettes, swede, green peppers, spring onions and the last of the beans. I checked the pumpkin and butternut squash and still nothing, don't know why!!
I cleared the sweet pea patch and pulled up the nasturtiums. I then decided to plant some seeds in the grrenhouse. Rocket, Lettice,Carrots,Peas and Cress. It might seem like a wild shot but I can try for nothing.
I have promised my pals that I will have a bonfire and find that I have now got so much to put on it, I am stuggling for space. It will be alright on the night, I guess. I then pondered a bit, as you do. I fancy getting another shed, just a little one so I can get a little table and a gas stove to make myself a pot of tea or some soup. Somewhere to sit inside and ponder a bit more. Am I sad????

tabbycat

• Half Acre
  • Woking, Surrey
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2007, 21:09:51 »
Thanks Cambourne,

It's entirely my own fault though. As penance for my laziness, I shall be down there weeding, even in the pouring rain

(although I'm hoping your crossed fingers work  :))

Tabby

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007, 21:35:35 »
Tabby dont beat yourself up we have all at some stage but the allotment on the back burner. And you have had to get that spangaly new job. So DONT put yourself under 2 much pressure.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal