Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 882145 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1560 on: December 05, 2008, 18:58:34 »
Good idea Eristic......actually clicked on this thread today because my son was reading over my shoulder and said that's a big thread what's it about?

It's like a diary for everyone so month by month is a good idea.

Today I was home with my really horrible cold virus haven't been to the lotty for over a week because of it, my boys had it first one by one avoid it if you can it's really nasty.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1561 on: December 07, 2008, 16:56:58 »
A very sound idea Eristic, and if more people put their location under their tag we would be able to see "local" times too. Had a wander round the site, cleaned out the Rycote Greenhouse, watered in the Schools, helped OH with a new border. Brought the Pumpkins in...  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1562 on: December 08, 2008, 16:56:25 »
Picked the last of my spring onions and beetroot and took home with some stored PFA and Kestrels, and yes its a good idea Eristic and Saddads right if everyone put their area under their tag people would have a better understanding of times, weather etc.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #1563 on: December 08, 2008, 17:37:09 »
Had a quick look at the bees I moved in yesterday, and lugged a dozen scaffolding planks onto my plot before they all disappear. I've got a bad cold and the latter's finished me for the day. The soil's frozen solid so I wouldn't have been able to do more anyway.

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #1564 on: December 08, 2008, 19:32:37 »
For once I didn't do any digging  :o :o :o I cut down the last of the awful black Berry bushes that grow over my gate so that I can dig them out when it is a little bit drier  :-\ and then lay some paving down and build a shelter to park my buggy in when I come on to the plot (its a pain pushing it all the way to the shed which is at the back of the two plots) then one of the plot holders ( well I say plot holders his plot has not been touched for 2 years >:() asked me if I wanted any thing off his plot as he was handing back the keys tomorrow ;D so I lifted 16 paving stones and took the two extra large darlek compost bins that he had left behind (in the rain ::)) one has a lid missing but I am sure I can make some thing to fit

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #1565 on: December 11, 2008, 22:16:18 »
just tidied up a bit and did a bit of weeding it was a very warm afternoon I even took off my coat an hat ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1566 on: December 14, 2008, 08:34:09 »
work party weekend so I'm cooking the big breakfast at 1  ;D
any takers?

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #1567 on: December 14, 2008, 13:31:08 »
Redid the woodchip paths, thats it. Not a lot for me to do out there at the mo. :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

KathrynH

• Acre
« Reply #1568 on: December 14, 2008, 13:53:13 »
We all sat in the communal hut, drank mulled wine and ate mince pies - and that's about it! Too wet for anything else although I did come home with a few leeks and a cabbage just to prove that I really had ben to the allotment!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1569 on: December 14, 2008, 18:13:01 »
Picked some sprouts and lifted some carrots, which are now on the cooker. Managed to save a couple of heads of Chnese leaves, they weren't netted so the pigeons have been trimming them!  :-[

hellohelenhere

• Hectare
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • http://backgardenallotmenteer.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1570 on: December 14, 2008, 18:56:20 »
My order of plantlets arrived, finally! Albeit, sent to the wrong address, so spent two days sitting in the neighbor's sitting room, which won't have helped. I was rather underwhelmed; I was expecting plug plants, not trays of un-thinned seedlings. It took a lot of work to delicately tease apart the seedlings into smaller clumps - I still wonder if some of them are going to be overcrowded.
Got some of them outdoors in planters with polythene over the top for protection; some in pots and trays in my (glass) lean-to for the time being. I'm particularly curious to see if the bare-rooted calabrese comes back to life, it doesn't look very lively at all.

Freecycling is doing me very well. I got four large planters yesterday - 3 wooden ones, & one that is actually a large 'toy bucket' with rope handles. Today I scavenged large amounts of polythene from the bins at Topps Tiles - with their permission - so have plenty to cover up my plants with. I'm glad it looks like it will stay mild all week; otherwise my 'plantlets' would be looking a bit ropey. I think most of them will make it if I can keep the slugs and birds off them. Definitely going to keep some of them indoors till they beef up some more.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #1571 on: December 14, 2008, 20:34:40 »
Harvested carrots, parsnips, swede and took them home with some stored Kestrels and PFA's.  ;D ;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #1572 on: December 16, 2008, 18:47:20 »
sowed the giant onion seeds  ;D

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #1573 on: December 17, 2008, 14:07:30 »
Put a cloche over some ground ready to plant some early spuds
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #1574 on: December 17, 2008, 15:48:03 »
How early RK. ?    :o     :-\     ;D ;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #1575 on: December 17, 2008, 17:52:27 »
ray moved 8 barrowloads of manure into the poly, some ready for our earlies to go in, made a hot bed ready for mid january  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #1576 on: December 18, 2008, 12:42:55 »
decided to use chicken poop in the hot bed instead of fresh horse, due to the problems with it, covered with lots of soil so, roll on mid jan, I can't wait  ;D

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #1577 on: December 18, 2008, 14:17:16 »
Once Christmas has come and gone, I'm sure we'll be all chomping at the bit to get out and get started again.

I wonder what it would be like to live in a region where it's warm/sunny all year long. Would you get bored of sowing and growing without a break?

I don't think so  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #1578 on: December 18, 2008, 16:19:43 »
Imagine all that watering Lauren.  8) 8) 8)      ;D ;D ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #1579 on: December 21, 2008, 15:15:03 »
I actually got to work in my own garden today, A truck load of rubbish and empty beer cans to the tip, cleaned the pond, pruned shrubs, orchard and climbers. Dug out and poisoned a golden hop that had started to take over. It was originally planted as a quick fix but it really needs a lot more room. Noticed a lot of the fruit trees have huge buds coming this season so it could be a good year for fruit next year. Daffs are starting to break the surface.

Now it's time to get ready for a few drinkies  tonight.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal