Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 883079 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1420 on: October 28, 2008, 21:01:31 »
Nothing. It snowed. Over the weekend I got a load of turf, which had been stripped from a tennis court they're relaying just up the lane. That'll solve a problem. I've got half of it layed already, and by spring it'll be providing competition for the ground elder in that patch, which I've been meaning to grass over. Then I'll just need to keep cutting it.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1421 on: October 28, 2008, 21:06:01 »
dug up, out of the frozen ground..carrots (for storing) and leeks for stew..fed the chooks with any cabbage etc leaf that had whitefly..hunted up some slugs for them, collected a dozen eggs and went home  ;D

Solorn

• Quarter Acre
  • The Worlds Only 6ft Gnome
« Reply #1422 on: October 29, 2008, 14:48:20 »
managed to dig over a 6ft square next to my compost bin. Its where the old tenant had their bin and the soil is perfect for some rhubarb crowns I've been given. Also started the edging at the far end and raked up even more dead grass! Threw away a house worth of old carpets from teh last tenant too.

Came home after an hour as my ears were red and icicles had started to form. Virgin ground is so much to break, pity my back thinks it's torture.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #1423 on: October 29, 2008, 20:00:09 »
Moved some poo.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #1424 on: October 30, 2008, 12:32:24 »
Horrible dark evenings mean I don't get there in the week normally - but ran out of lettuce and carrots so up at 6.45 this morning to restock. Its was a bit raw. :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #1425 on: October 30, 2008, 18:37:36 »
Didn't get to my plot, but had a wander around someone else's very big garden in the drizzle....Chatsworth House! Went looking at the sculptures in the grounds, shame you couldn't get into the massive greenhouses though.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #1426 on: October 30, 2008, 18:46:06 »
Nothing. It's too wet for digging. Went for a swim instead.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #1427 on: October 31, 2008, 10:41:35 »
Last visit to the lotty I think for quite a while managed to get the rest of the lotty waste in to the compost bins, disconnected the drain pipes to the water butts put away into the shed anything that is nickable so roll on the spring :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1428 on: October 31, 2008, 19:29:23 »
Harvested carrots and parsnips and had a tidy up around the celeriac and parsnips.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #1429 on: October 31, 2008, 19:37:34 »
Cleaned it! Took several ton of rubbish to tip, gathered up all the plant pots that the dogs had pinches, ditto the bamboo canes, dug up all the weeds, finally collapsed in a heap about 3 hours ago!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #1430 on: October 31, 2008, 19:39:48 »
Got rid of more leaves off the lawn. Mowed the lawn, tidied the edges. Dug over the borders and cleared away even more leaves and twigs. Planted more daffs. Ran out of time and daylight to do everything I wanted to do  ::). C'est La Vie  ;)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #1431 on: November 02, 2008, 10:22:00 »
Braved the wind n rain popped down this morning to get some veg,leeks cab,sprouts and parsnip cut some spinach but silly me left it in me shed :P.noticed that the badgers have been at my JA's last night again, all i can say is i hope there set as plenty a ventilation :-X :-X :-[ ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1432 on: November 02, 2008, 13:48:33 »
fed the chickens with weeds and old cabbage, calabrese, etc..
took up some celeriac and beetroot to store, cut cabbage for tea and salad leaves for lunch  ;D
took the compost from the raised carrot bed, put it into the old cabbage bed, ready for the shallots tomorrow, if it's dry  ;D

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #1433 on: November 02, 2008, 14:34:49 »
Did a path out of chippings.  Weeded raspberries.  Tried to do another clearing session, but there was glass and big timbers everywhere, so saved that for next weekend! ;D

Mandrill

• Not So New ...
« Reply #1434 on: November 02, 2008, 15:35:47 »
Cleared more glass, every spade full has a piece of glass in it! :-\

Dug a potato bed, ordered some potatoes. Decided I am going to put four rows of spuds in.

Finally met and joined the committee and met some of the other plot holders.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #1435 on: November 02, 2008, 16:04:51 »
Knocked on the neighbours to ask about the leaves she usually saves for me - she's cut down the bloody tree.  No other neighbours out to ask but since council gave us big wheelie bins to put garden waste in, don't get much.  Went down to put some more japanese onions in but ground far too wet so gave away one pot of them to a neighbour who was there.  Shifted some manure.  Pity it was nice dry weather during week when I was at work.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1436 on: November 02, 2008, 16:06:42 »
Only one piece of glass Mandrill, somebody is looking after you.... have you found the glass mine yet? That bit where the previous tenants stacked up all the glass for a greenhouse and then it got broke over the decades....  :-X

Mandrill

• Not So New ...
« Reply #1437 on: November 02, 2008, 17:55:23 »
Oh yes, I think i am on an old pilks site.

Why do they leave it? Driving me mental. The whole plot has glass, i expect to find bits but not huge great shards, everywhere from top to bottom. No area is free of it.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1438 on: November 02, 2008, 19:41:10 »
Harvested last of the runners, spring onions and celeriac and had a general tidy up with the three year old in tow.  :-\       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #1439 on: November 02, 2008, 21:40:03 »
Harvested some curly kale (delicious). Picked some more apples. Checked on the butterhead lettuce under a mini polytunnel - it's doing quite well but has slight slug damage so thought I'd try some of those environmentally friendly pellets. Hoed between onions, which seem to be growing strongly. Got very muddy.
Keep Calm and Carry On

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal