Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 893102 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1260 on: August 25, 2008, 20:35:18 »
The last of my spuds came up yesterday. I also ate my first red tomato and picked the last of the broadies. Also lovely purple French beans, courgettes, raspberries and artichokes. I have found at least one of the places the bunnies are getting in and will block it next time I go.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #1261 on: August 25, 2008, 20:36:49 »
Dug halfway through one compost heap, annoyed a HUGE red ants nest in the process, stuck my leg with thorns (note to self, gooseberry bush branches do not rot down quickly, so next time burn them), spread some lovely compost over a couple of beds, then in my own unique way, planted some little gem lettuce, rocket, spinach and carrot seeds (it was windy and the straight rows thing wasn't working - so let the wind do the job for me - now looking forward to finding it growing out of shed roof lol  ;D).  Then limped home (literally) for a bag of chips and a nice hot bath!  ;D ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #1262 on: August 25, 2008, 20:39:09 »
We picked bucket of beans and some gherkins and cucumbers and marrow and flowers and a bucket of beetroot and khol rabi. weeded a few raised beds. bucket of toms too.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1263 on: August 25, 2008, 20:49:09 »
Harvested runners, dwarf beans, beetroot, radishes, carrots and parsnips, that was after clearing two weeks of weeds and bolted cabbages.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #1264 on: August 25, 2008, 21:51:52 »
Not too much as I have a snotty/chest/throat bug. It was good to be in the fresh air and I picked beans, toms,squash,cauli and lettuce after fighting my way through other peoples weeds! Next plot neighbour very poorly so I will weed for him next week, next to him is Mr.Occasionally Enthusiastic. He appears every now and again, full of what he is going to do but doesn't. This time he tells us he has taken on 2 more plots nearer to where he now lives but is keeping this plot as well :o Wouldn't mind if he worked it. moan, moan, moan,   >:(
Smile, it confuses people.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1265 on: August 25, 2008, 22:19:39 »
Mr Occasionally Enthusiastic, what a wonderful name, I love it.  Perhaps I am Mrs Walkabout and Chat. 

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #1266 on: August 25, 2008, 23:04:48 »
been up to the plot today nice to see purple podded peas are doing well but not yet ready to pick and the runner beens are all in flower so should have a nice crop yippie

Picked all my garlic and there is some nice big bulbs weighted over 2lb on the scales :) going to put it on a tray outside to dry off and pop a umbrella over them in case it rains (should be ok i think).

When i was clearing the garlic bed i found couch grass white thick roots under the soil pulled as much as i can any tips on trying to clear it?

not picked much of my spuds as its been 2 wet but i suppose i had best start digging some up!

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #1267 on: August 26, 2008, 00:08:02 »
Weeded and................

Sowed Corn Salad, chicory, Komatsuna, Mizuna and Pak Choi.

Picked raspberries, tondo courgettes (huge enough to stuff for a family of 4  ;D), runners (but left the long ones one for the late summer show), french beans and put straw under the spaghetti, Queensland Blue and butternut squashes and dibbed the last of the leeks in the spare potato beds.
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1268 on: August 26, 2008, 07:38:14 »
Not a great deal really, but roll on getting home from work today (Monday)  ;D

meggzee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #1269 on: August 26, 2008, 07:48:56 »
Probably a bit like everyone else. WEEDING! Have just come back from hols so I was scared of going down to the lottie....if only veg grew as fast as the dreaded weeds. However,a bit of concerted hoeing and grabbing and lo and behold a hundred leeks appeared! Some serious digging in the evening and some bits and bobs will be sown.

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #1270 on: August 26, 2008, 20:51:30 »
Cut down 12 tomato plants as because they have blight only have 3 left now as the other 5 went last week :'( :'( :'( :'(

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #1271 on: August 26, 2008, 21:55:03 »
Is it too late to spray Trinity?
Smile, it confuses people.

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #1272 on: August 26, 2008, 23:12:27 »
they have been sprayed  :o but as most of the people in the area I know that have out door toms and have not sprayed lost theres about a month back so it has helped a bit just not enough  ::)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #1273 on: August 27, 2008, 19:44:29 »
Dug up some spuds.  ;D ;D ;D

Good Gourd 2

• Half Acre
  • My minature allotment.
« Reply #1274 on: August 28, 2008, 21:17:06 »
Today I killed more caterpillars, pulled up the nasturtian stalks that were left. Dug up all my late potatoes that had blight and burnt them also the tomatoes plants that had got something. Picked runner and french beans, pulled beetroot picked some courgettes.  Had a cuppa tea and a cream cake, talked to everyone that passed by.  Cut some dahlias then came home.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #1275 on: August 28, 2008, 21:50:11 »
We picked green toms, I know it is early, but I go back to work on Tuesday and we have so many..anyway I made 24 pint jars of chutney,  still loads ripening.

Cleaned out 4 beds in my back garden lottie.

Started making plans  for using the real lotties  again for next year. I have really missed them.

Dug spuds and picked beans, beets and spinach.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #1276 on: August 28, 2008, 22:57:13 »
Started digging up my strawberry bed - more weeds than strawberry plants - how embarrassing :-[  ::)

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/ninnyscrops/DSCF1240.jpg

Ninnyscrops
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #1277 on: August 30, 2008, 10:28:43 »
Picked a bag full of runners, carrots, a dozen toms, and sixteen sweetcorn then started on my spud bed with mi Matis :)

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #1278 on: August 31, 2008, 09:40:06 »
Weeeding and transplanting brassica bed yesterday, too hot  8)  by 2.30pm so I went down the pub.   ;D ;D ;D

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #1279 on: August 31, 2008, 12:22:17 »
I was too hot yesterday in sunny Enfield.  Ate a sandwich under a willow tree, talked to a few people, looked at the weeds, then though tomorrow is another day, then went home.  Should have joined you in the pub.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal