Author Topic: What did you do in the garden today?  (Read 884953 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Re: What did you do in the garden today?
« Reply #1080 on: June 13, 2008, 15:29:22 »
Look after yourself Cam XX
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #1081 on: June 13, 2008, 18:30:08 »
thanks for the support guys i have actualy been able to see almost straight today which is a releif and i am seing an eye specalist on tuesday and i have made arrangements to get into the office monday phew and friday i need to go to copenhagen for the day to finish up my work there.

And i have even managed to start off some more pumpkin seeds in the kitchen and taken all the seeds out of the greenhouse and got them watered which is something.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #1082 on: June 13, 2008, 21:40:18 »
What did you do to yourself? I planted some toms out and picked the first broad beans.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #1083 on: June 13, 2008, 23:02:56 »
Hope you feel better soon Cam. :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #1084 on: June 14, 2008, 15:57:47 »
thanks guys, robert i dont know what happened i woke up monday morning with a bad migrane, double vision and could not stand light. Docs came over thinking it was menengitis but thankfully it was not she treated it like a migrage but this still left the double vision.

Looks like trapped nerve in my left eye socket triggered it. And what triggered the trapped nerve well i think it might have been some new anti histimines which i have been taking for a few days before all this stopped and since i have stopped taking them my eyes are getting better far 2 much of a coinstance for my liking. It says rare side effect is visual disturbance bit of an understatement.

As it stands now my eyes are just about back to normal, bright lights take getting used to and i have to refocus or rest them when i over do it or things move in front of me quickly. So not going to attempt driving till i get the all clear tuesday. Watching tv with sunglasses may look funny indoors but it does help.

I made it out to my greenhouse (plastic 4 tier one in garden) last night and found that every single bean, pea, flower, tomato, brassica has been eaten by 6 massive slugs in just a few short days. I was very disapointed luckly they spared my onion seed which i started 8 weeks ago and will be planted out with luck tomorrow and they left some of my brussel sprouts. So i am going to get my hubbie to drive me to the allotment tomorrow with my seeds and get him to help me plant up some new pea and bean seeds in place and cover with netting. I started some more pumpkin seeds off last night as my last lot died in the frost of may and they can go into my bean beds in a few weeks. Going to start of more tomatos today in the kitchen. And going to start some in a bed tomorrow and cover them in some plastic sheating like a mini greenhouse on the plot.

Thanks again guys

Cam

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #1085 on: June 14, 2008, 17:25:56 »
 Finished planting out bedding in daughters tiny garden and mowed the postage stamp  ;D Next stop  the plot,weeded and mulched toms, and weeded onions. Ate 2 raspberries, firtled for a few spuds and picked a lettuce for supper. Got broccoli to pick very soon and beetroot ready now. Courgettes -green and yellow- making an appearance, and noticed the long awaited parsnips are popping through.  :)
Smile, it confuses people.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #1086 on: June 14, 2008, 17:29:37 »
what did i do in the garden today? I watered and fed it thats all!  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1087 on: June 14, 2008, 17:55:23 »
tied everything in again, planted up the sweet potatoes, planted the biggest leeks where the new potatoes have come out, planted up mizuna and red mustard into containers, in the shade, experimenting to see if they'll grow there without bolting  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #1088 on: June 15, 2008, 19:28:26 »
hi guys,

hubbie and i went to the plot today to take stock, and its not 2 bad. Garlic is now 3 ft high and nice and green still so i hope its all bulking up added more chicken poo and a good water. Shallots have started to go to seed so will go up and pull some of these to dry ( i guess now they have started to go to seed they will not keep).

I noticed a couple of brown leaves on one of my potato plants like there burnt so need to keep an eye on that. Some of the others just look like somethings been eating them.

Planted 3 rows of onions (grown from seed started 6 to 8 weeks ago)  and 2 rows of carrots seed in a bed its only 1/3 full but all i could manage.

Picked board beans as something was eating them, picked rhubarb and some strawberrys for after dinner.

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #1089 on: June 15, 2008, 19:53:41 »
Good day  ;D  Planted out squash and rhubarb (found it in the garden!) and pulled over wintering onions, only 3 with white rot  :)  garlic is looking fab - never grown it before so V excited, beans and mangetout covered in flowers and summer squash looking fab,  I love this time of year  ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #1090 on: June 15, 2008, 20:30:18 »
Dug up my first potatoes! Just a few Vales Emerald but they look yummy!Made up some more nettle fertiliser as everything seems to belooking a bit yellow.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #1091 on: June 16, 2008, 19:05:44 »
Did loads today, also very excited to dig up my first earlies! Dug up two plants each of 'Salad Blue'...got about 20 potatoes, mostly small ones, a bit disappointed as these have been flowering for the past 3 weeks. I'm steaming these as I write for an unusual blue potato salad! My son has already turned his nose up...all the more for the rest of us! ;)

More impressed with 'Witchhill', 20 plants yielded 70 potatoes, some as big as a small baker, most a large egg size. Also cut two calabrese, a fistful of 'Jermor' shallots, two huge lettuces and ate a lot of strawberries as I worked (working lunch!).

Day off again tomorrow, so plan to put up some more bean wigwams where the earlies were, and hopefully lay some paving on the new half plot...all go innit! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

STEVEB

• Acre
« Reply #1092 on: June 16, 2008, 19:55:46 »
Watered all that took an hour then got readdy for work ,stupid late shift this week !!
If it ain't broke don't fix it !!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #1093 on: June 16, 2008, 22:10:17 »
tied pumpkins to their upright frames, watered everything outside in pots, ray fed everything with comfrey feed, I scouted around for ladybirds, found 4 and kidnapped them into the poly for the peppers  ;D
picked shallots, beetroot, carrot thinnings and radish,lolo rosso lettuce, great big one today, can't eat them quickly enough.. plus enough strawberries to feed 6 people, again, lovely grub  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #1094 on: June 18, 2008, 11:37:01 »
Great it now seems all the hard graft is now paying off since I we started to winter dig last year, grand total of 75 sweetcorn plants all covered with netting the last lot that went in have all come up, had a look at the spuds and they are the size of a golf ball, broad beans, beetroot are a nice size and everything else coming along plus did a bit of weeding :)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #1095 on: June 18, 2008, 12:35:21 »
Ate strawberries    ;D ;D ;D
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #1096 on: June 18, 2008, 17:33:04 »
Planted some celeriac plants one of the lotties gave me, hoe ed and watered, picked a handfull of peas to eat on the way home.  :P   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #1097 on: June 18, 2008, 21:36:25 »
Walked around it holding a tiny hand. ;) :D
Smile, it confuses people.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #1098 on: June 18, 2008, 21:44:57 »
planted a new strawberry bed. grown from seed, that's a first for me!
You couldn't make it up!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #1099 on: June 18, 2008, 21:49:05 »
Naff all the dentist saw to that
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal