Author Topic: rumtopf  (Read 3861 times)

ACE

• Hectare
rumtopf
« on: September 22, 2007, 12:49:15 »
All finished this morning, can't wait until xmas.

Started with kiwi fruit, followed by,strawberries,cherries, plums, peaches,grapes and finally pears. All homegrown apart from the 3 litres of cheap spanish rum (4 euros a litre). Oh! and a drop of sugar.

I suppose I will have to test it every day, just in case it spoils.

gwynleg

• Hectare
Re: rumtopf
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 13:11:24 »
Sounds lovely - do you just pour the rum on with some sugar? What quantities? I have made blackberry vodka but have lots of pears - could go well with rum?
thanks

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 15:46:33 »
3 litres of cheap spanish rum (4 euros a litre).

:o :o Where did you get hold of this rocket fuel then!!!!

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 21:58:27 »
you know you could freeze some of this 'liquour' and serve it as a sorbet, believe me it will knock your socks off and more  ;D although the best is gin and tonic sorbet (yet to be beaten)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 06:39:16 »
gwynleg,
The recipe I was given said 2parts fruit to 1 part sugar and 1part rum.
But I cut down a bit on the sugar as it was too sweet, and I just made sure the fruit was covered in rum each time I added some. I also covered the pot with clingfilm as the lid did not seal the pot.

Biscombe
Rocket fuel was on offer in Gibralta in plastic bottles, not very nice on its own but perfect for this job.

calendula
Sounds a good idea, but does alcohol freeeze? I shall practise with my tequila and red currant mixture.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 09:29:21 »
to freeze alcohol you need a certain amount of sugar and I believe an egg white helps as well but the experiments should be fun  ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 17:23:23 »
Well we have made a trifle with some of the fruit, I  had to try some before the guests arrive WHOO  HOO,

The 'Guests' are my sons inlaws, we shall be discussing the new babies future, so I have to be on my best behavior.

I'll just have another trifle, and a drop of the liquor, while she's upstairs getting changed.

Al together now,  Sixteen men on a dead mans chest yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 23:27:53 »
Ace, what does the tequila and red currant taste like? I made some white rum and redcurrant  the year before last - it tasted a bit like a nice cough mixture!! Then again, perhapsif it tasted like medicine  it must have been doing me good!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 12:23:50 »
I think you might have used too much sugar, it tends to make it syrupy and is similar to linctus.

Cough, Cough, Cough. Now what have I got in the cupboard to get rid of this tickle in my throat? ;)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 19:54:42 »
Don't think it was the amount of sugar, but the star anise you added for extra flavour. An unusual recipe with an unusual flavour, but I drank it -  waste not...........
My father used to gargle with port when he had a bad throat  - you could always try that, Ace. Of course the port would only be bought for medicinal purposes of course... [ they had a special offer in my local somerfields - two bottles for the price of one - well you just have to buy, don't you , as well as the special half price Gressingham duck!!!]

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 21:18:53 »
Ah port!  Once upon a very long time ago I used to sing with a pub  band. I was suffering with a hoarse throat and a member of the audience came up to me in the break and told me he was in an operatic society and a drop of port was the remedy they used to cure a husky voice.

Off to the bar I went, ordered a port, It did not help at all. When I mentioned it to the landlord he told me the port he had behind the bar was rubbish but he had an old bottle and he gave me a drink from it.  RESULT!

We went into our last set and my singing voice was beautiful, But I did not get much applause from the crowd.

So there you go. Port is good for your throat and vocal chords, But when you are singing the blues, stay off it. Better to stick with the cigarettes for that husky raucus blues sound.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal