Author Topic: Sweet Potatoes  (Read 1036 times)

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
Sweet Potatoes
« on: September 20, 2007, 13:09:37 »
Has anyone grown sweet potatoes? How do I get started? Do they come as tubers like "ordinary" spuds? Or seeds? Can't even remember their proper botanical name now.
I guess they aren't really potatoes, anyway, but as we get through quite a lot of them, I fancy growing my own, or is Wiltshire completely the wrong place for them?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Sweet Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 15:57:24 »
well, if Saddad and us can grow them, you shouldn't have a problem
mind you, ours are undercover, we bought slips from T&M this year, we're hoping to keep some of the ptatoes to produce our own next year
some clever people on here bought organic ones and produced their own, we only managed to get one so had to buy
if you do a search for them at the tp of the page, there's loads of info on here  ;D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 16:47:21 »
I plonked a kumara potato into a tub to see what would happen.  Had roots growing out of it as I had forgotten it was in the drawer!   Have had loads of leaf action which is now dying off a bit.  So I must have a little look and see if there is anything "extra" there.  I'd give growing your own a bash.
Twinkletoes

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 18:54:42 »
Saddad should be along shortly... ;D  ;)

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 20:19:22 »
do a search - there is a fabulous thread somewhere, with really helpful advice and pictures (I think from Leonie)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal