Author Topic: My hens won't perch.  (Read 2236 times)

aob9

• Quarter Acre
  • Fermoy, Co.Cork,Ireland
    • My Blog
My hens won't perch.
« on: September 19, 2007, 20:49:06 »
I recently replaced my three rhode Island reds. They were past laying and gave them to my sister in law who is happy to mind them as pets. I purchased 2 Rhode Island's and two silkies,all hens. They are all at point of lay.
 My problem is simple but a nuisance, they refuse to perch.

Tonight, once again they are sitting in sawdust ( and poo ) in their house. They are soaked as they stayed out in the rain this evening. I cannot imagine that this is very good for them. I have tried going into the house in the dusk to try and perch one or two of them but to be honest it is not worth the trouble considering all the chaos it causes ( and the lung full of saw dust) . I am afraid that as creatures of habit they will remain on the floor indefinitely.

Any suggestions or should I just wait.????? ???
Anthony

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Re: My hens won't perch.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 21:48:57 »
I dont have hens yet (hopefull will have at the weekend) but have been reading up on them for months...

I read that often hens that have been reared in large groups (for example but not limited to battery hens) don't know how to perch and have to be shown by you putting them onto the perch and each time they get off you put them back again.

I don't know how accurate this is and I'm sure that some of the more experienced chook owners will put me straight but all of the books i have point to this being the problem.

HTH,
Su
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

wildthing

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 22:26:57 »
The Silkies might never perch. I have had them at various times over 40 years and have just bought a pair of May hatched ones. I'm looking for 2 more unrelated pullets.  I think the extra toe is a hindrance to gripping a perch.
The R.I.R's should perch, but might take a bit of persuasion. When you have replaced them on the perch for the umpteenth time you start to feel like supergluing them in place. 2 is not too bad, but I had 12 to teach, and as fast as one settled down, another fell or jumped off. I have a couple of Solar Lamps which charge outside all day, and I pop in the house at night to give a few more hours of light to keep them laying through the winter. That also serves the purpose of letting them see where the perches are. Once a couple start to perch, the rest follow suit.

aob9

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 13:48:11 »
Excellent idea about the solar lamp. I was thinking of buying one of those battery operated push lamps but I have loads of Solar lamps scattered around the garden.

As for the perching issue, it looks like I will have to continue with gentle persuasion.
Anthony

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 18:06:37 »
Have you tried nailing em......No forget i said it. They will eventually. I was told not to use sawdust because of the dust both for you and the chooks we use shavings.

aob9

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 21:16:17 »
I agree sawdust is very irritating. I will indeed use shavings next time I clean out.

Thanks
Anthony

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal