Author Topic: The Weather Thread  (Read 7155 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
The Weather Thread
« on: September 19, 2007, 09:59:10 »
Thought i'd start this thread for comments, observations, rants etc about the weather.

I'll start off with mine.

I appreciate many folks out there are still suffering the after effects of the summers wet weather, and as a gardener I am in some ways glad of the recent dry weather, giving a chance to sort out the garden. BUT, I garden on a slope, and my soil dries out quickly after a wet spell. Now after a month of virtualy no rainfall the top few inches of soil are very dry. This could not he happening at a worst time. I, like many gardeners have lots of planting and moving to do this autumn, and this is hampered by both dry soil and dry weather, adding to the watering already required.

So whilst i dont really like rain or working in it, it would be nice to have a few days of nice steady rain to help my garden out, and make this particular gardeners life a bit easier!

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Re: The Weather Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:50:23 »
It's been really dry here in Durham since about June when everywhere had all of the flooding.  I'm releived to say that we didn't get any flooding where we are, but it's rather hilly.

my soil is sandy and doesn't hold much moisture, so during the rains things were fine, but now that it has barely wettened since june things are looking less positive.  we did have a splash of rain yesterday, and it's spitting on now but nothing more than that.

thank goodness for waterbutts!
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:04:51 »
Looking forward to a bit of rain this week - want to start digging the other half of my plot and the ground is a tad concrete like at the mo!

But have also just bought a new tent and want to go try that out too.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 12:07:15 »
 :) oh thanks for starting this, thought it was just me praying for rain, ;D

like most folk lost everything in the floods, except my miracle in the blight house toms and my runner beans,

my plot gradually dried out,but now its just pain ridiculous ::)

all our plots are cracking, and are as hard as concrete, but on the plus side my strawberries, rasps  etc are loving it and its if the season has started again, picking punnets of them, / shades x
grow your own way

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 12:40:18 »
I'm willing it to rain today as I have just applied my autumn lawn feed. If no substantial rain falls I have to get the sprinkler out tomorrow. The clouds are very dark, but nothings happening yet.
Might have to go and do a rain dance.  ;D

Lauren  ;)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 13:37:09 »
Well it is raining in Wilmslow - just like yesterday!

Maybe you could all move your gardens to the Manchester area ....

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 13:51:55 »
yes my ground is like concrete in fact i managed to break a spade on sunday :'(
we then had a light shower in the evening :) tuesday morning brought the first frost of the year :o and today it is very damp and overcast, the wind is drying out the ground as soon as it is wetted. what i would like of course is a darned good rainstorm followed by a few days of dry so i can get some digging done
i,ll continue dreaming on i suppose
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 14:32:59 »
You're in good company theothermarge, I broke my fork the other day! Having finished finally cutting back, I now can't dig a d**n thing, 1 day of rain has made no difference whatsoever! I'm definitely a summer girl, but now I really need some decent rain please (but not the kind that causes problems for others obviously)!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 14:39:44 »
It has been threatening rain on and off today in East Sussex, wish it would, my garden is dry as a dry thing!
But also has to be said, tis blooming cold out there, my heating is about to be turned on. :'( :'(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

twiggy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 14:53:19 »
hello......ive  just   got  allotment so ill  be  watching  the  weather  more  carefully  now!!  dont  have a hosepipe  there to  water  my  veg  like  i  do  at home  ..its  a  lovely place  to  be  in  warwickshire   countryside..i  can hear the  buzzards  calling  and  see  them  gliding   above  me  bliss!!!  then  i  have  to  come  home  to  the  sounds  of   wheres  my  shirt  etc   tut  never  mind .....i   will   be  asking  lots  of  questions  ..hopefully  they  will  make  sense..

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 15:54:54 »
I've been waiting to see if my new water butt 'wiring' works, as I had to somehow get a 2" shed downpipe down to 1/2" tubing. All patented diverter kits are for much larger downpipe diameters and are expensive...

In the end I used waterproof and UV-proof glue and a 2.1" circle of plastic with a 1/2" hole in it, glueing the tubing to the hole first then the whole lot into the pipe's top, but I want to know if it works without having to use a hosepipe, as I need it full of nice soft rainwater rather than hard tapwater!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 16:15:46 »
Hiya, Twggy, welcome to the site
the weather today has been mostly dull, overcast with bits of rain here and there, warmish though   :)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 20:06:07 »
Yep, defo autumn!

Digging my new bed was relitively easy at last, well, untill it poured down on me.

Me thinx that I really do need a shed - not for me, I don't mind a bit of wet - but the bike was sat on the edge of the plot getting a good soaking and giving me nasty looks  :(

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 20:15:18 »
Hi Twiggy and welcome, you will be watching the weather, checking out skips and council dumps, watching the trees for falling leaves, it all adds up to the crazy world of allotmen teering, your friends will think your stark raving mad and after a couple of months on this site you will be.   PS.  two very brief showers in September makes a very hard working soil, bring on the rain.     :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 20:39:07 »
hi twiggy we have got buzzards soaring above our site as well 4 at the last count
and i know what you mean by "wheres me shirt" i think the only reason i have a mobile phone is for the OH to ask me where things are
oh yes weatherit is still raining here and i,v put the heating on
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 20:56:11 »
Well, the rain didn't come today and I had to water the veg. Forecast is for rain during the night and off and on tomorrow.
It's getting nippier too. Gone are the bare arms and just a t shirt. Out come all the sweaters, socks and long trousers  :(

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 21:37:40 »
well so much for the rain dance Lauren ;D

could you try harder tomorrow please? / shades x
grow your own way

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 21:58:28 »
remember what happened last time someone did a rain dance, or was it the song about umberellas  ;D

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 22:27:43 »
It was Grandma that did the last rain dance, but think she only did a local one in Sussex :-D
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 23:12:10 »
All the rain we have had so far has been of nuisance value only. Seems to want to spit on me right in a middle of doing a key task in the garden. Typical.

After a lovely (if nippy) day yesterday, it couldnt have been more different today, Overcast, miserable cold and surprisingly windy, but of course whilst it threatened several times to chuck it down very little rain was produced.

Seems like we never get rain when its needed these days. Dry spring (rain needed),wet summer (not needed) Dry September (rain needed). Even when there is rain forecast, if the garden needs rain it somehow manages to bypass our part of the world. >:( ::) :o

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal