Author Topic: Fuchsia Problem  (Read 2022 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Fuchsia Problem
« on: September 18, 2007, 10:08:23 »
This may just be a physiological problem casued by the weather, but a few of my bedding fuchsias have suffered from a peculiar defoliation in recent weeks. To start with the leaves turned a sickly mixture of yellow red and brown before dropping off completely, leaving the plants quite bare. They have had the same treatment as all my bedding fuchsias (watering feeding, and yes over watering by mother nature at times) yet the majority of the other plants have remained healthy and lush.

I was wondering what could have caused it. There is no sign of any pests present (such as vine weevil), and the plants are now begining to recover.

Any ideas. Thanks

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Fuchsia Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 14:08:42 »
There is no sign of any pests present (such as vine weevil),

Have you lifted any to see if the vine weevil larvae are at work on the root system? 

This can happen! i.e. no signs above ground but below who knows?

Lift one or two out to find out.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 17:56:46 »
Fushsia rust is the problem Garden apprentice
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 20:14:28 »
I was having a similar problem, yellowing leaves and big black blotches, eventually in a do or die moment, I stripped all the offending looking, or likely looking leaves.

I now have a marvellous display of twigs with lots of blooms at the ends !

My fuchsia guru said "the bad weather".

Some were affected by rust as well, but that wasn't the sole cause.  How the blooms are staying put in the wind and rain that we've got outside atm, I'll never know !

:P

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 09:43:03 »
Fushsia rust is the problem Garden apprentice

Cant say I have ever heard of it. What might of caused it? Is it a big problem to have it or is it just one of those things (caused no doubt by the weather this summer ) that will disapppear without causing long term harm to the plant? The plants do now look better now all the affected leaves have fallen and new ones have started to regrow.

Thanks for the advice

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 11:08:01 »
Richard, my little book of fuchsias states that fuchsia rust is a disease characterised by raised, circular, rust coloured patches on the undersides of the leaves. All infected parts and leaves should be removed and burnt and the plants sprayed periodically with a fungicide containing 'thiram', 'maneb' or 'zineb' until the problem disappears.
I have had this problem in the past and (not liking to spray all these chemicals) have done as Mrs. KP has done and stripped the plant of leaves, cut them back a little and they have grown back. I think as long as you dispose of the diseased leaves carefully the problem does not reoccur.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal