Author Topic: Eeeek! A Mouse...!  (Read 15424 times)

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
Re:Eeeek! A Mouse...!
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2004, 19:18:24 »
Squeek squeek! And I guess that makes me the little old lady! Thanks a bunch!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2004, 19:26:45 »
Hey Val! Found this during my internet wanderings.....

Love Plocket x
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2004, 22:47:18 »
Right here goes with the one about the mice and the electric cables.

One of 'my' vets was called to a farm in West Lothian that had a large herd of dairy cows. A calf had been born during the early hours of the morning that was rather sickly so the farmer's wife had taken it into the kitchen to keep an eye on it until Mr. R (the vet) arrived.

When he entered the kitchen he was greeted by both the farmer and his wife and told all about the calf. He examined the little beast and told them what to do to get it back on it's feet. He was then offered breakfast and a cup of tea (as is the want with early morning call outs) so he sat down at the kitchen table.

The farmer meanwhile, having had his own breakfast, decided to get a large box down from the loft to put the calf into. Mr. R and his wife chatted about everyday matters while she cooked his bacon and eggs.

The next thing they knew was that there was a  series of crashes and bangs coming from the loft and then a scream.They both rushed to the foot of the ladder and shouted to the farmer to see what all the noise was about. What had happened was that mice had been in the loft chewing at the electric cables and the farmer had gone over to see the extent of the damage they'd done. A few mice scattered when he walked across the floor but that didn't bother him unduly. What did was the fact that when he bent over to have a closer look at the cables a mouse shot up his trouser leg. He tried to dislodge it by slapping his leg but the thing just kept crawling higher and higher. Now, like all men I suppose, the farmer was getting worried about just where it would end up so he stamped his foot and shook his leg but still no mouse appeared. He then decided to take off his trousers to deal with the little blighter but as he took stood on one leg getting them off the mouse shot out of the empty trouser leg, ran up his arm and then into his hair. He got such a shock that he staggered, got his foot twisted in the cables, fell over and broke his ankle hence the banging and the scream. He couldn't get down the ladder and Mr. R had to manhandle him down as carefully as he could while the farmer slapped at his head!!

The mouse was never found, however, the poor man wouldn't come face to face with the vet for a long time. You see when he took his trousers off he wasn't wearing any underwear underneath them and the vet got a good view of all his assets!!!  :-[

Cheers Eileen.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 00:18:45 by eileen »

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2004, 09:27:54 »
Oh Eileen! That's hysterical! What a story to start the day. Luckily the poor famer didn't get electrocuted as well!!!

I'm trying to think of any other mouse stories.....

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2004, 11:13:46 »
Great story Eileen :D  There's obviously more to being a vet than 'meets the eye' ;) ;D
Happy gardening all...........Pat

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2004, 11:14:40 »
I've got plenty more tales like that from my vet days!!!!!  ::)
Not all relating to mice though.
Hey maybe I should have writtern books like James Herriot did - I could have had loads 'o money by now!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2004, 12:13:11 »
You could start a new thread with a story about another animal.....

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2004, 17:52:16 »
Do you know this makes me die, and you all wonder why I can't stand the things, they go in places even the light of day don't reach....unless you're lucky! ;) ;) ;)
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2004, 18:06:24 »
Oh Eileen, just read your vet story. Just about pee'd myself laughing! Very good  ;D  Will have to warn my husband, he's a plumber and is often crawling about in peoples lofts!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2004, 20:29:46 »
Spluttered all over my screen!  So funny!

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2004, 11:54:49 »
More on mice - looking at that white-rot link posted on other board, and thought I would have a look around the site

http://www.cherrybyte.org/Articles/Environment/chocolate/chocolate.html

A mousetrap made out of chocolate developed by scientists at the University of Warwick is set to bring a new meaning to ‘Death by Chocolate’. The novel invention leads mice into temptation with the irresistible, alluring scent of chocolate essence without the use of bait.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2004, 12:07:03 »
Blow that! I'd want to eat the mousetrap!!!

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2004, 13:46:28 »
 ;D ;D ;D @ Plocket!!!!

Now a funny story about mice this time just an update.

I posted a message a few weeks back "Fieldmice get the boot" well all the babies have now left Ian's boot are are out into the great, big world that's my garden. So far 1 has gone to mouse heaven via someone's bl..dy cat and another was despatched by the magpie!!  :'( :'(  Here's hoping the rest of the little brood of fieldmice survive.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2004, 13:58:03 »
Oh I think field mice are so dinky!!! Cats and magpies have a lot to answer for don't they? (And I'm a cat lover!)

Hope your little brood don't come and visit too often Eileen! If they do, there's these new chocolate mousetraps.......!

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2004, 16:59:49 »
Can't get this picture out of my head Plocket of you fighting the mice to get at the trap!!!!!!   ::) I take it you like chocolate just a teensy, weensy, wee bit then??  ;D ;D ;D

Eileen.

P.S. At this rate there's not going to be any of the brood left. That $%^£"*&@ cat has just run off with another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :'( >:( :'( Anybody got a spare elephant gun? That'd  certainly sort the b.gger out. GGGGRRRRR.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 17:02:32 by eileen »

EILEEN.

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2004, 17:05:55 »
 To say I like chocolate is a bit of an understatement Eileen!

As for the mice - I assume the cat isn't yours? Have a look at the Thompson & Morgan website - they have a plant which apparently offends cats and keeps them away from your garden. I think it is under the bird feeding section.

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2004, 15:11:00 »
A venus cat-trap maybe ?
Always look on the bright side of life

eileen

• Hectare
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2004, 18:09:34 »
Thanks for that Plocket will check it out and probably buy a lorry load.  ::) NO it's NOT my cat - wouldn't have one!!

BW - wish they had such a thing I can tell you. Moggy digesting plants sound really good to me. (evil grin emoticon urgently required)

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2004, 18:35:29 »
At the moment I would like a cairn terrier digesting plant as a neighbours 2 are killing our hedgies and chasing away the roe deer,and badgers.

But then its only what they do naturally and are bred to do so I can't blame them for being ill-trained and out of control. >:( ::)

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2004, 19:19:14 »
Oh well I'm afraid I'm a cat lover - and a cat owner. But I try to be responsible - I have provided a bit of nice earth behind some of my plants, and I clear it regularly. She was very good at using it until I made the mistake of sewing grass seed without covering it, and she decided to do the necessary there! The grass seed has been re-done, and covered. Cat is back to her usual bathroom!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal