Author Topic: THANK YOU Jeannine  (Read 6901 times)

Rain

• Quarter Acre
Re: THANK YOU Jeannine
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 18:59:07 »
I'm really tempted to add my name to the list, those sweet corn look amazing (or should that be 'a-maizing'?!)
  Last year I grew Swift F1 but before they ripened every single cob was eaten, I'm guessing by the mice. For that reason I didn't grow any this year, but I'm thinking of having another go next year. Is there something I should do to deter other things from eating them, or could it be the variety I grew? I'm a bit confused about it, other people grew it successfully this year.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 12:46:39 »
Bringing this one back up, problem with these  seeds, please  read post titled, FROM jeannine re sweetcorn seeds. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 23:07:23 »
 I have had a big problem with these seeds, they are no longer available, I just got the final answer today, the supplier has been in touch with the grower and they are sinply not doing them this year.I have been refunded my money.

Problem is I was relying on these myself and I am now stuck too. and  for swaps with some of you too.

They have offered me an alternative  which it is a Hybrid Double Standard, I know there is an open pollinated one but this is not the same one. Personally I don't want, it  I can think of better ones and I might buy some something different as an extra as I like bicolour corn, but the folks who I promised to send seeds to I have something else for you, this is the second corn I grow.

For, Doris Pinks, Norfolklass,Lauren S,Barnowl,Jitterbug, E Maggie and
 Barkingdog,  ( I think that is you all, PLEASE correct me if I have missed anyone  out)I want to send you some of the second one I grow  as a  freebieand I think you will like it . To  save a lot of typing on separate PMs  I am putting it here for you to read.

I bought this seed last year, it should germinate without too much problems, I did a test last week and I got  70 % germination, as I am growing it myself anyway, and I usually only buy my corn seed every second year , it should be just fine.I have almost a full pound so there is lots for us all. You wll get at least what you would get in a normal size UK seed packet for sweetcorn, I didn't get to use it last year because of the floods, as I would have planted this one late.

It is an excellent seed and the following is it's specs.

Honey Select Hybrid., it was an All American Selection winner a few years ago and is highly thought of.

Classification is a Triple Sweet, but it it is synergistic which simply means there are kernels from two corn families, both yellow, on the one cob so it is  bit different.

The quotes below are mostly from the AAS site.

For any gardener who has wanted to  try a supersweet in their garden but lacked the space to isolate from other corns, Honey Select is the answer.
The variety actually contains two different kernel types, 75% sugar enhanced and 25% supersweets. It need no isolation from the majority of other corns except supersweets..(bear in mind most folks grow sugar enhanced or sweet, rather than supersweets.)  It will not cross with your popcorn, mini corn etc.The ears mature early so it is good for short seasons, 8 inch cobs, all yellow. The addition of supersweet kernels to the sugar enhanced ones mean this corn enables home gardeners to harvest the ears over a longer time without them becoming starchy, just make sure it is ready when picked as the supersweets parts don't develop there special  full sweetness till the cob is  fully mature. It has the plus that it is sweeter than the sugar enhanced because of the extra kernels.

Frankly I am gutted about the Sweet Tooth, the only explanation I could get is because it is a  very very expensive seed and probably not cost effective, and I shall be looking for a different bicolour, but not the one I have been offered. I might try and find How Sweet it Is which is very similar to Sweet Tooth but I don't know for sure  if I can get it.

Please confirm if you want the seed, I shall be sharing what is left anyway but you few are first. I don't want anything in return.

I have the addresses of some of you but don't want to send it if it is not suitable for your needs.

Please let me know as soon as you can as I am not saving more than I will use myself.

Any questions and I will do my best. There is lots about this on on the net if you want to look it up.

XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 23:52:46 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 00:43:15 »
Thanks Jeannine.. you're a star.  :-*  :-*
I will gladly have anything that you are growing. How can I go wrong  :)

Hugs
Lauren xx
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 01:09:47 »
Jeannine I wonder if this BC site will send the Sweet Tooth corn to you. Fingers crossed they will  :)

https://www.westcoastseeds.net/index3.cfm

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 01:21:53 »
Sweetie, That is the company I order from, Mary and I have had several emails over the last little while and she simply cannot get it. I buy quite a lot of stuff from them and do have the rest of my order on the way.. This was my local when I lived in Canada as they were just down the road from me. They still have it  listed but it is not availab le, also on the same page you will see the other one .It is the only company that had it listed in North America, I have even e mailed the grower who is Ferry Morse with no luck. It's a drag but I don 't know what else I can do. I am searching the net as we speak for something that is close, How Sweet It Is  I have found but it is white corn not a bicolour so I am no further ahead. I should pack up for the night I think, it is after one but I am so determined
 XX Jeannine

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 08:19:17 »
Many thanks for your endeavours Jeannine. I will be delighted with any choice you make.
Maggie.
(posted here rather than stuff up your very busy pm box ;D)
Smile, it confuses people.

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2008, 16:34:01 »
I would still be interested in some of the (second choice) sweetcorn. Do you still have my address or shall I send again?

bd

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 16:52:00 »
I still have ,packing them tomorrow XX Jeannine

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 18:42:06 »
Hey jeanine wouldnt mind some of those in my package!!!
sarah.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 18:52:54 »
They already are LOL XX

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2008, 00:32:48 »
I'd be very grateful for some corn. like lauren and emaggie, I'm sure if it's recommended by you it's bound to be good stuff :)
thanks again for your kind offer

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2008, 17:00:19 »
Hi Jeannine, I would be very pleased to give them a go., but don;t let yourself go short.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2008, 20:06:20 »
Hi, I didn't want to send unless they were what folks wanted, I have now   already posted to Norfolklass,Lauren S,E Maggie and Barking Dog as they answered me by return on PM sent. Barnowl yours will go out in the next posting.I still haven't heard from Doris Pinks and Jitterbug.

XX Jeannine

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2008, 20:12:55 »
Thanks Jeannine you're a star
Hugs
Lauren xx

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 13:16:50 »
Jeannine, I've just taken delivery of a bulging envelope full of corn ;D
thank you very very much!!!!

I can't wait to get growing, my sweetcorn was late in the ground last year and none of the cobs reached maturity

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2008, 13:20:50 »
Me too Jeannine. ;D Thank you very much.
Smile, it confuses people.

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 13:27:58 »
Can't wait to get home from work to see if I have one too  ;D

barkingdog

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2008, 19:52:38 »
I did!  ;D

Thanks a lot Jeannine!

barkingdog

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2008, 20:01:27 »
I got in tonight extra late, cold, tired and worn out. Imagine my surprise to see a large letter for me.  ;D. that certainly brightened my mood  :D

Thank-you Jeannine xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal