Author Topic: Living Willow Structures  (Read 2295 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Living Willow Structures
« on: September 16, 2007, 20:23:48 »
I'm thinking of making a little hideout at the end of my garden for my granddaughter and I'm attracted to the idea of a living Willow shelter. I've looked on Google and there are plenty of ideas and advice.  But before I look into this further I have a nagging feeling at the back of my mind that Willow needs to be grown a fair distance away from the house.  Would about 40 foot be okay do you think?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Living Willow Structures
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 20:42:20 »
If it is not going to be allowed to grow into a full sized tree but pruned as a den that distance is ample I should think. My son's den is sited near an open well on my plot and the roots have not grown anywhere near it yet, I have kept a close check on it!

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 20:49:39 »
Hey Deb, that is fab.  :D  Thanks for the advice.  Children find Willow so tactile don't they and I think these structures are such a brilliant idea.  I've only got a tiny area to put it in but I'm sure I'll think of something.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 20:54:07 »
That one is 2m diameter, do plany through membrane though to save yourself weeding forever. I used an old metal poker to make the holes to take the willow 'poles' that was a great help. 8)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 21:05:48 »
I made a living willow hedge/fence in our garden and I obtained the willow whips through FREECYCLE. A lady who was about to prune her willow hedge offered me the prunnings which were over 6ft tall and perfect to build the hedge that I wanted, it saved me a lot of money (probably around £150 for the amount she gave me!!)
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 16:10:13 »
Thanks to both of you for these handy tips.   :)

G x

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 18:37:55 »
Last year I helped out on a living willow tunnel/dome project at my son's school. It took us 3 days to do but it was/is fantastic.

I'm responsible for pruning it this year so it will be even better next year: I've been told to prune it right back before Christmas (to the original structure) and then we'll probably get off-shoots next year that can be planted again to extend it.

The lady that ran the school project gave me the left-over willow and we made a tunnel for the kids at the allotment as well.

We planted it through weed suppressant fabric to give the willow chance to root & had to water it for a few weeks as well.

It really is lovely stuff to work with  :)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 20:00:50 »
I'm getting quite excited about this project now.  I told my daughter what I had in mind today and she was delighted.  So I better start my reseach I think.   ;D

G x

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 20:06:19 »
It really is a fantastic thing to do Georgie  ;D

It takes a while for the willow to take root etc so the kids get a bit 'bored' waiting for it to sprout/flower. But when it does it's great!

XXX

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 20:16:21 »
Thanks for your encouragement Trixie.  The granddaughter is only six months old so I reckon if I start soon and it takes a couple of seasons to establish it should be ideal for her.  The space I have for it is only about 6' by 4' but a den is a den after all.   ;D

G x

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 20:22:47 »
Every kid, regardless of their age, should have a den  ;D X

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal