Author Topic: Info pack for newbies?  (Read 4073 times)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Info pack for newbies?
« on: May 09, 2007, 15:09:52 »
We've had a lot of new blood on our site recently and we feel that, as well as just saying "hello", we ought to be giving out some kind of info & welcome pack. Has anyone any experience of this? Any thoughts on what to include? (Or what not to!)

They obviously get a copy of the constitution (But how many people take the time to go through that?) plus the usual by-laws about bonfires, rubbish, keys, dogs, etc. Anything else? (One suggestion concerned tetanus jabs, for example.)

Or should we just keep it low-key and include an article in the newletter? (This was going strong until we had printing problems just over a year ago, but we're hoping to revive it.)

Any input gratefully received. Thanks.

Trevor

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Info pack for newbies?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 17:05:31 »
I think an intro to this site would be as good as it gets. For those who have pc's of course. A few of the basics of allotment gardenig such as crop rotation and a planting calendar for those who don't
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 18:13:51 »
yeh, and tell them not to spray weed killer on a windy day  :(

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 20:19:58 »
I think that's a very nice idea. Advice on having up to date tetanus very sensible too. I agree that a planting calendar and basic crop rotation advice would be useful, also perhaps a recommended book list. Hard to say as you don't want to smother people with info as much of it will be ignored anyway. Maybe safety tips too like cane toppers? Hmmmm. Will think on it.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 22:42:31 »
A veg planner. Click here, then click on the link within the thread:

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,29275.40
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:42:19 »
        Hi Trevor,
About five years ago we had about ten surplus allotments. Now we have a waiting list, varies between ten and twenty people. We find one in four new comers give up with in a year, they can’t cope with the hard physical work or commit their selves to the time required. We have a strict system, three warning letters a month apart saying your plot is not up to the expected standard and they are off. (Family and medical problems accepted)
We decided to help new comers by writing a starter pack, giving advice. A joint venture between allotment holders, and the council.
If you would like a copy send me a PM. I’m away at the Malvern show this weekend.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 13:17:52 »
Where waiting lists are in place, how about a required voluntary phase where the applicants need to turn up to work on or around the site as a whole.  This may help give an idea of the level of work required on a plot as well as give an indication of the potential longevity of applicants. 

I shared my plot with a friend who wanted a plot of his own as I felt - silently - that due to work and family commitments he wouldn't have the time to deal with even a 5 pole plot and would be better off growing produce in his garden.  I was right: he made it to the plot only a few times.

Newbie packs are a great idea and I would have loved to have known then what I know now! However: I fear that the Newbie Pack for our site would have been in a completely different vein to the gardening approach I am going with (no-dig, don't fret the weeds so much, Saturday-only visits, moveable carpet weed suppressing and the inability to hack down an 18 foot buddleia tree on the edge of my plot - casting shadow over a parking area only). Different methods of gardening: I'm from hippy tree-hugging stock and the management is from stricter "everything in it's place" stock.

Advice on weed-management would be a good idea, the average number of hours on site per week per 5 pole plot, when it's due to get manic in the sowing/planting/weeding stakes, what plants can get away without water and what plants really need it.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 08:19:15 »
Where waiting lists are in place, how about a required voluntary phase where the applicants need to turn up to work on or around the site as a whole. 

Required is hardly voluntary  ;)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

scottcara

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 21:56:22 »
Hi guys as a newbie i just thought a section on getting started on the actual plot maybe some basics on setting out, websites etc.

regards scott

adamreith

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 00:09:23 »
For useful information try http://www.allotmentssouthwest.ik.com for size

croft8872

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 19:29:17 »
hi im a newbie think this is  great idea would like info on when to plant

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 20:32:37 »
Hi Scott, Adam and Croft
Welcome to A4A
I'm new to veg growing too, learning all the time.
This forum is great, the only problem I can find is...
I get so absorbed that I shut out everything else that is going on in the room. At times I find hubby tapping me on the shoulder to say "Hey, I'm talking to you"...Ooops  ::)
Mmmm I seem to remember doing this for the last thirty years while he is watching sports.  :-X

Lauren  ;)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal