Author Topic: New to veggies and just got a GH with a tiny bit of land  (Read 866 times)

killerflies

• Half Acre
    • Killerflies CDC and IRISH flies
New to veggies and just got a GH with a tiny bit of land
« on: September 13, 2007, 13:12:43 »
Am just cutting my teeth with the veggie growing etc after growing some beans and yellow ball courgettes on my balcony this summer. Recently my grandmother had told me to go mad and use her glass house and a tiny bit of the garden to grow some veggies over the winter. So.............

With all of the experts out there, I was hoping that ye could give me some idea of what to plant that will be harvestable over the winter months both under glass and outside.

I was thinking spinach (outside) and Kohl Rabi and Pak Choi (indoors) for starters. Any other option/ideas??? Are there some bean varieties suitable for glasshouse growing over the winter?

Also, I see mention on other posts that some people cover the soil with plastic to kill weeds. Is this an absolute necessity?

Many thanks!

Killerflies.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Re: New to veggies and just got a GH with a tiny bit of land
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 14:25:50 »
Welcome, i'm no expert but I thought maybe try some winter lettuce variety for the greenhouse really not sure what else as i'm going to try to use my greenhouse too this winter as we got it this summer.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 16:14:58 »
The black plastic is not an absolute necessity, just a less labour-intensive way of getting rid of weeds. If you've only got a small area, digging them out will be a quicker way- with the plastic you have to leave it a few months.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 16:25:57 »
Choosing varieties for a cold greenhouse look for mildew resistance.. eg Winter Density lettuce...
 :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 17:20:04 »
We grew Winter Lettuce outside under enviromesh.

killerflies

• Half Acre
    • Killerflies CDC and IRISH flies
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 11:01:34 »
Excellent!

Thanks for those pointers.............

any more????????????????????????//  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal