Author Topic: lurking in the compost heap  (Read 5551 times)

ACE

• Hectare
lurking in the compost heap
« on: September 12, 2007, 19:27:24 »
We have a very nice looking grass snake that hangs around the pond and today I found her eggs in the compost heap, They looked as if they were just about to hatch. I did not have camera handy but they look like this

So if you are turning or moving the compost heap and you come across some, do what I did and recover them. The snakes will not hurt you and I expect you will never even see them.

They are protected and it is illegal to move them or destroy them.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: lurking in the compost heap
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 19:52:35 »
I'm sure I would drop dead with fright if I saw this

:'(  :'(  :'(

Lauren  :(
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

croft8872

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 20:07:44 »
that would be my worst nightmare

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:57:11 »
..and it would be my wildest dream ....wish I had some - I'd protect them 8) Lucky you, ACE.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 09:37:04 »
I think it's really  8)   I've never seen a grass snake but will be made up if I ever do   :)

Marian

• Quarter Acre
  • Thank God for my garden !
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 09:41:47 »
I suspect I would be very frightened and run away but I would NEVER harm any type of wildlife.

You are pretty lucky to have this beauty in your garden...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 14:30:25 »
I don't know why anyone would be frightened by something so harmless!

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 23:39:16 »
Nor do I snakes are gorgeous, and would absolutely love to have some in my compost heap... Lin

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 00:21:31 »
I just wish...that one day...I will have slow worms and grass snakes...and dare I say, adders on my plot.  Oooh, how I wish!!!  No chance for Smooth snakes though - too far north. :(
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 08:15:28 »
Hey ACE, yer compost's a bit of orl rite too 8)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 10:07:02 »
Not mine, I had to pinch the picture as the snakes are camera shy and are always slivering into the pond or away in the long grass. But the eggs and snakes are exactly the same as the photo.

Mind you, the compost heap I am using at the moment is 3 years old and is mainly a mixture of grass cuttings, autumn leaves,anything that will go through the shredder and bonfire ash. I burn all the weeds and trimmings before putting them on the heap. No food scraps apart from fallen apples. I am lucky enough to have enough room to start a new one every year so I always have 4 on the go.

They are huge and one is enough to cover about 500 square yards between 4 and 6 inches deep. The oldest one is used mixed with loam and sharp sand for potting on etc.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 16:41:38 »
Hi Ace

I haven't got grass snakes in my compost heap but I have a complete extended family of slow worms.  They arrived in one of my cheap plastic bins in spring last year so I couldn't  move the compost and now there are so many of them they are difficult to count.  I have some quite large ones and then ranging in size to tiny ones that are probably no longer than 2inches!

They are now quite used to me and some of the older ones stay long enough for me to stroke them!  the youngsters just make a dash for it though.  I have made up the compost heap with just a bit more grassy stuff so that it stays warm in there for them. 

As it is now getting colder when I open the bin either in the morning or evening there is a complete tangle of bodies!  One of the older ones must have been caught by a strimmer and lost some of his length but that has healed and apart from being stubby has survived beautifully.

I wish my son hadn't nicked my camera so I could put a picture of them on here - some are a lovely browny gold and the babies are really shiny bright gold!

;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal