Author Topic: Herbs  (Read 748 times)

mike quinn

Herbs
« on: September 11, 2007, 15:59:53 »
I have just started growing some herbs and have now got Oregano, Parsley and Chives. Will they last through the winter? and how do i dry them, if possible

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Herbs
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 17:09:57 »
oregano and chives are perennials so no problems and parsley is biennial so it should last through the winter but it depends where it is planted and your location

drying - there might be something in the wiki on this but usually hang upside down in an airy place

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 17:21:24 »
Seems a shame to dry them. Never the same. Much nicer to keep them alive if you can.

Failing that, freeze one way or another?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 17:54:05 »
Possibly:  chop finely,  add water - put into ice tray and freeze. Store the frozen cubes in a bag.  Will help them keep their colour.  I do this for coriander and also my highly reduced passata, the latter without added water.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 18:02:19 by Barnowl »

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 10:15:32 »
yes I have frozen basil and it keeps its fragrance at least, nice for sauces etc. In an ice cube tray with some water then into a bag afterwards.
Oregano would dry OK I would have said? Your chives will go on for ever. They are very hardy, I find them all over the plot still ha ha. They will die back then come up again in the spring. I have overwintered parsley and the next season it is better than ever. And I am notoriously hopeless at growing herbs.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal