Author Topic: peanuts  (Read 2372 times)

debster

• Hectare
Re: peanuts
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 16:20:15 »
manics you may remember back along that i planted some peanuts and sent you some too, well today i finally got rid of the plants because they had died off imagine my surprise when i found this, only one though but im really chuffed and will give them another go later on however the ones i buy for freddie now are roasted so got to raid the nut shop lol let me know how you get on with yours

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 16:53:03 »
well done, debster  ;D
will be putting the peanuts you gave me in pots in march, watch this space  ;D

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 17:21:08 »
do you just need to use normal peanuts, I had a  small tree last year but it died

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 19:46:11 »
caseylee the ones i used i just took out of the mix i sometimes give my parrot for a treat, however i now only give him roasted ones, i only planted them for a bit of fun the plants and flowers are quite pretty but over the winter they died off even though they were indoors, i will try again cos it was fun never expected any to have grown so was well chuffed to find one lol, may even try and grow that one  ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 19:47:16 »
well, at least you know it's organic, debster  ;D

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 19:54:51 »
thats true

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 12:16:47 »
will be putting the peanuts you gave me in pots in march, watch this space  ;D

Peanuts are pretty unique in as much as once the flowers have been pollinated the flower stems then curve downwards and bury themselves into the soil where the nuts then form.

If you grow them in pots make sure the pots are large enough and there is enough space for them to find the soil rather than reaching down the outside of the pot.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 12:50:55 »
What size pots do you suggest? Would a windowsill be okay for growing peanuts or do you recommend keeping them in a greenhouse? How big do the plants actually get?

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 14:08:47 »
my plants grew really well started off indoors then put out for the summer on a sunny patio then brought back in for the winter, it was neglect i think that killed them off in the end but i did start everything off very late last year due to illness so in fairness im not surprised they didnt reach their full potential

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal