Author Topic: Squash Labelling Disaster  (Read 1310 times)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Squash Labelling Disaster
« on: September 07, 2007, 19:45:28 »
Hi everyone,

Back again with more questions. Bethany is having some "Daddy time"  :)

Had a bit of a labelling disaster with all of our squashes and pumpkins this year. Never leave a pregnant lady in charge, I used a washable ink pen to label paper pots - of course the ink washed off as soon as we watered them ::)!
Most of the seeds came from the wonderful Supersprout so I am sure many of you are also growing the same ones.

OK, the choices are:

Squashes:
- Jaspee de Vendee
- Futusu
- Japanese Dumpling
- Little Gem (I think I know this one so no photo - dark green, cricket ball size, but not sure when to pick them as they are a good size already?)

Pumpkin:
- Atlantic Giant
- Hundred weight

Only about half of them germinated so we only got three different ones, other than the one I am sure is little gem.

we have a couple growing but still only male flowers, the plant are vast now but no sign of any fruit!

Thanks for your help as ever, sorry I am only taking and not giving at the moment, still struggling to find time for myself. Sure we will settle into more of a routine soon with Bethany, she is 7 weeks old now, I can't believe it!

DM x

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Squash Labelling Disaster
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 20:14:57 »
Hi

I am growing Black futsu and the top dark green ones look exactly like mine.

Not growing any of the others so no help there I am afraid - good luck.

Suzanne :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 22:50:17 »
The bottom one looks like a hundredweight... but big max is a possibility...
Glad to hear Bethany is growing well, as well...!
 ;D

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 11:47:04 »
Hi

Great, thanks. That helps with 2 of them. The one in the middle - green speckly, is a bit odd as we are growing round courgettes this year too and they look identical to this, but this is a trailing plant, is it possible we have a bit of a rogue seed and this is in fact a courgette that thinks it is a squah maybe??

Saddad - thank you, she is wonderful, she slept through the night the other day, we are so proud!  :D

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 12:04:56 »
Hi daisymay, i'm no expert but we're growing round courgettes de nice a fruit rond, and they look exactly like your unidentified plant - flowers are identical too.  They all look lovely and healthy, well done you  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 12:29:33 »
Hi, yep - our round courgette is the same variety, so I reckon we have a bit of a funny plant, thinks it is a squash!!

Thank you!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 13:02:51 »
Jaspee de Vende is a golden yellow round fruit weighs about 3-4 pounds and has a  netted skin( a bit like a canteloupe has.

Dumpling , if it is Sweet Dumpling and I think it will be is about 1 pound only has a white skin with green stripes and has a squat shape.

Your bottom could be a Jaspee, or it could be a pumpkin that is too young to show it's ridges
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 13:35:16 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal