Author Topic: Galtonia - growing from seed  (Read 4641 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Galtonia - growing from seed
« on: September 08, 2007, 20:15:56 »
I was at an RHS property today when some of this seed accidentally fell into my pocket.   ;)  Does anyone know how many years before it is likely to flower?  I'm assuming third year.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Re: Galtonia - growing from seed
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 11:49:57 »
By the time ya done ya porridge for nicking it. ::)   ;D ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 12:20:22 »
For those who have Galtonia candicans or G. viridiflora seed, this is the method I use to get flowering size bulbs in their 3rd year.
Sow the seed in early spring in pots. I use 6 in diameter half pots, ordinary seed sowing compost. Cover seeds lightly. I put about 30 to 50 seeds in a pot like this. When the seeds germinate, do not prick them out individually, rather pot the whole lot up as it is into J.I 3 in a deep pot (The clematis ones are perfect.). If you were heavy handed with the seed then either half or quarter the seedlings, disturbing the roots as little as possible.
As they grow feed heavily with liquid fertiliser., until the leaves begin to die down in autumn.  Dry off and store, frost free and dryish (Not dust, but not wet!).
When they begin to grow the following spring is when you can repot either individually or in groups in again Clematis pots in rich compost. Feed again.
Store frost free over following winter and they should flower the following summer. Then plant out and let them self seed all over the place so you do not need to go through all that palaver again!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 18:13:17 »
LOL@Frogslegs.   ;D

Hey Eric, thanks for such comprehensive advice.  If they end up looking like the ones in your picture then I think 'all that palaver' will be well worth it.   ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal