Author Topic: propagation  (Read 2606 times)

ACE

• Hectare
propagation
« on: September 08, 2007, 12:04:00 »
Has anybody got Calocephalus brownii. I have just aquired one and I would like to increase my stock of them. Is it seed or cuttings?

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: propagation
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 14:02:41 »
According to my RHS book of Plants and Flowers - "Propagate by semi-ripe cuttings in late summer"

It is frost tender, and will not tolerate temperatures below 7-10C (45-50F).  Requires full light and well-drained soil.  ............often grown annually from cuttings and used as summer bedding.

Hope that helps.

valmarg

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 18:58:02 »
Thank you for that, I was thinking it was along those lines so I scalped it this afternoon and all struck them in some gritty compost, so fingers crossed. Strange  about the hardyness, all the notes I have seen say it will tolerate -5, so I will trial a few next year and make my own mind up.

Loverly plant, I have never seen anything that is so silver, this one looks as if it has been dipped in aluminium paint. I bet the flowers are really crappy

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 22:43:21 »
Also according to the aforementioned book the flowers  - "Clusters of flower heads, silver in bud, yellowish when expanded, appear in summer."

I should have to say that, from the picture in the book it would not be something I would be over enthusiastic about.  Having said that, photographs can be very misleading, insofar as what you see is not necessarily what you get.  Or, not every plant is photogenic. sort of thing!!

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal