Author Topic: Is it just me ...... Christmas is coming.....well eventually  (Read 3307 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Is it just me ...... Christmas is coming.....well eventually
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 14:15:32 »
Debster, thank you, that is a lovely idea, I can use that one XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 15:00:55 »
very welcome indeed
 ;D

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 15:05:44 »
Steady on Chaps, some ??? of us haven't had us Summer hols yet!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 16:17:23 »
Summer hols???  I remember those..I think
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 17:46:07 »
funny this thread, the booking form for the Christmas Santa Steamtrain dropped through the door this week  :o

I've started knitting a scarf for my friend, but may unpick it as I'm not very happy with garter stitch (wool is very fluffy and scarf is looking messy - easy alternatives welcomed).

I'm also debating getting some nice jam jars and making some jams as pressies.  Last year I tried to get some chocolate moulds to make decorative leafs / shapes / chocolate discs, but didn't have any success - anyone seen any ?  Where would I get celophane bags from ?

prink13

• Hectare
  • Sleeping the day away!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 20:09:40 »
mc55, try the following link for molds - and cellophane bags

http://www.soapbasics.co.uk/

Kathi
Kathi :-)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 20:13:25 »
e bay have chocolate moulds, and also cellophane bags.

Emma Jane, I have a baking tin that bakes 32  2 inch cakes at the same time, I decorate each one in fondant then put them on a tiered cup cake wedding cake   stand that  has 7 tiers. It holds about 120 or so I think if you use all the tiers

It is fiddly but once you get going it is not so long.

Done  for Christmas in white with a  tartan ribbon around and each one having a small fondant Chritmassy thing would look  really impressive, and guests can take them home.

It's a thought you brought to my mind, I have never used it at Christmas so thank you.

XX Jeannine

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2007, 21:10:46 »
This is a wonderful thread! I have enjoyed it so much. I'm off to France at Xmas to stay with my brother so there! :P

But it made me wonder... Who do you all give Xmas pressies to and what sort of pressies do you give? Loads and loads of folk and little pressies or just close family and bigger? Sometimes Peter and I gave each other a kiss at midnight  or a trip to the Catholic church for midnight mass or a glass of mulled wine or a week in Paris or ... it varied enormously but it was never socks or sexy underwear.
Grandchildren we normally send a cheque (£20 per child). They all live far away. Kids it varies from champagne to tickets for the ballet or a book or a dvd...

And I don't normally give presents outside the family except to my immediate work colleagues who get choccies (chocaholic Annabelle) and beer (Simon).

But maybe I'm a mean Scottish b****d? What do you all do?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2007, 23:58:42 »
Well obviously Father Christmas looks after the children so I don't have to worry there.  For my darling it is a struggle.  He likes lots of little things, so I try to fill his stocking up with nice little treats that he wouldn't buy for himself, anything from DVD's to good dark choccy or special ales.  Mum is also hard to buy for so she gets luxury treats, fancies for the bath, nice chocs.  When I worked in Berkeley Square I used to go to a fab Russian restaurant and buy her a little jar of beluga caviar to have as her Chrissy brekky.  As she will be Christmassing with us this year, I will buy some again for us.  I buy something for my sis and her hubby for about £20 as I prefer to spend more money on her 2 boys.  She is incredibly specific about what they should receive, so I do 75% what I am told, the rest I rebel!  ;D  That is it on that side.  Marks family we have a £5 funny pressie rule only for immediate family, 2 brothers plus wives and his mum and dad.  They have sons so we spend whatever we want on them little tikes. 

I am easy to buy for.  I think I am the ideal woman as I want nice undies, bubblebath, gardening tools, proper tools, a new iron or flash kettle.  He struggles of course because he doesn't feel they are the correct sort of gifts to give me.  But the biggest pressie for me is watching those kids as they walk into the lounge and see that Father Christmas has been and drunk his milk, eaten his mince pie and Rudolph has scoffed the carrot.  They are overjoyed at that more than anything at all!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 02:02:50 »
... finaly found 5 min to read though my RHS Garden magazine (mango and rasp cheesecakes are in the oven finishing off at the mo for cooling over night for bbq) and inside was there Christmas cards and gifts selection. http://www.rhs.org.uk/shopping/index.asp

Found some intresting things in there like sarah ravens 'Grow your Own diary' for 2008 £11.99 yikes did anyone find the one for 2007 useful?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2007, 09:45:30 »
I shall be delivering my first Christmas present this weekend  :o ;D. It's an allotment journal courtesy of Olive Oil. It seemed the sensible thing to do as we probably wont meet the recipients again this side of Christmas.
(they know I'm a practical woman ;D ;D ;D)

Smile, it confuses people.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2007, 11:42:46 »
my best ever christmas present from my hubby was my parrot but at over £500 it was my present for a few christmas and birthdays and i adore him thankfully he loves me too. following that sweet shop thread i thought i might send my sister and her family a hamper from there and get them something to unwrap on the day too her kids always want money for something this years its for spending money for when the go to florida next year

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2007, 12:21:52 »
Caroline, no response from niece, but here is one I found in Jane Grigson's fruit book.
1kg blackcurrants
1litre reasonably good red wine
1 1/2 kg sugar
3/4 litre brandy, gin or vodka
Soak blackcurrants and wine together in a bowl for 48 hours. Put a large piece of old sheeting into a large basin. Gradually feed the currants and wine into liquidizer or processor and tip the mush into the cloth lined basin as you go. Pull the cloth together and twist it so as to squeeze out all the liquid.Measure it, put it into a preserving pan and to each litre add 1kg sugar. Note the level. Stand over a low to moderate heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Regulate the heat so that the liquid keeps above blood heat but well below simmer or boiling points-use a thermometer to make sure.Time 15 mins then check temp and give a good stirring. Do this 2 or3 times more, then lengthen the timing intervals. In about 2 hours the level will have gone down slightly and it will be slightly syrupy. Leave to cool.
Into a clean bowl pour a mug of the spirit you are using, then add 3 mugs of syrup. Repeat until all the syrup has gone, adjusting the quantities at the end at a ratio of1:3. Bottle.Leave for 2 days before using.

........and if you can be bothered to do all that then you deserve to drink the lot yourself. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 20:52:22 »
Thanks emaggie,

it does seem like a lot of work, but I bet it is GREAT! I will keep the recipe and do it when I am feeling inspired, probably when its too cold and wet for anything else. Good excuse to sit in the warm kitchen with a good book.

'I'm sorry I cant help, I'm busy making Cassis!' ;D ;D ;D ;D

cj :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal