Author Topic: If you knew then what you know now......  (Read 5155 times)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: If you knew then what you know now......
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 12:38:46 »
We've just built our 10x15 tunnel, and like Manic we checked the wind direction so it goes straight through.  We also got a ventilated ridge which I hope will keep the air circulating in the summer, and extra wide doors. We shall wait and see what the results are next year. But the chap on the plot next to ours got blight in his tunnel this year, I wonder if the spores get carried in/through on the wind.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Pigletwillie

• Quarter Acre
    • Hilltop Adventures Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 14:43:55 »
They certainly do asbean and it makes no difference if you have a tunnel or a greenhouse, if it gets blown in it gets blown in, this year has been just so wet and humid that mine got it as well.

However, to get the ventilation you need the doors open, catch 22

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 16:17:04 »
we didn't have blight, just a bit of grey mould, due to the cool, wet, warm, humid weather, we've had a fantastic crop of everything in the tunnel this year, don't know about the sweet pots yet, still got to see  ;D

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 01:05:15 »
never have a prob with ventilation, ours is 30x10..doors both ends with  mesh doors for summer..ours faces into the wind so that helps,
I

Why have you got plastic bottles over some of the plants - surely this cuts down the light even more ?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 09:02:09 »
they're over vulerable plants like pak choi and lettuce, deters the slugs 'til the plants are big enough not to be bothered, doesn't seem to worry them  ;D

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 15:56:18 »
Go on Chantenay - do it now!

You won't regret it!!  I bought a 12' x 25' polytunnel last year.  Didn't get it erected soon enough to get a whole season out of it but bloody lovely.  You can go in there when it is peeing with rain and work as and when! 

I had to fight my Council - they were telling me to take it down all year - but at last they have agreed for me to keep it! 

I am so looking forward to next year - an early start hopefully.  I have sited mine with the length going east/west with double doors one end and single the other.  I have them open every day! 

Probably not sensible to erect until early next year as winter gales may damage a bit if not fairlly protected - but covers are not expensive anyway!

Good luck - go on get the biggest one you can manage on your site - you will be the envy of all your lottie neighbours!!

Enjoy

Old Bird

;D

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 11:45:44 »
Going back to the main theme, a freind has recently set up a polytunnel on our allotment. I watch her progress as this is situated very near to a road which has had a lot of vandalism (graffiti and even a lamp standard pulled down).

She seems to have some strange holes in the sides which are away from the road and I can only guess they were caused by a badger or deer (plenty of both on the plots) scartching at the sides. I think vandals would have done a much better job.

Stuff seems to be growing O.K. and she has put down creosote to ward off the deer.

I have given her some of my Winter Density lettuce and these seem to be doing about the same as the ones in my cold frames.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal