Author Topic: Chickens nearly here - but how many feeders etc?  (Read 1716 times)

jonny211

• Acre
Chickens nearly here - but how many feeders etc?
« on: September 13, 2007, 07:38:00 »
I'm getting v excited - in a weeks time I'll be collecting my first four chickens and parking them on the allotment. I can't wait!

I plan to keep them in their house for the first night and then let them free range in their pen from then onwards.

How many feeders and drinkers (and what size/capacity do you think I should start with??

Any other tips for a first time chicken herder would be appreciated.

Cheerio.

Jon

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Chickens nearly here - but how many feeders etc?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 22:34:10 »
Put out at least 2 of each in different places. This allows the runt of the hens to still feed without being bullied. For outside feeding of pellets - ensure it is under a little shelter pr the rain will turn them to mush. If they are laying - put a cover over the entrance of nest boxes as hens prefer to lay in darker places.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: Chickens nearly here - but how many feeders etc?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 10:34:56 »
I keep my feeder indoors and hang it off the floor.  With 20 hens I have bought a middle sized feed hopper and I find it needs topped up every morning though it is never completely empty. I have lots of water hoppers and even an enamel trough thing that they seem to prefer to drink out of than the plastic hoppers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal