Author Topic: Giant Puffballs  (Read 1964 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Giant Puffballs
« on: September 05, 2007, 14:00:57 »
I've just discovered giant puffballs in my garden! I appear to be a bit behind the slugs but have one picked (about 10 inches diameter) which is perfect under the slug holes & there's a couple more on the way...

We've lived here for 6 years & never had them before. I knew there had to be an upside to this miserable weather!

Anyone else getting mysterious mushrooms appearing?

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
Re: Giant Puffballs
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 14:14:29 »
I once made creamy mushroom penne with a giant puff ball. It was gorgeous! :P I noticed a lot of mushrooms are appearing everywhere now but not sure if they are edible...

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 14:33:56 »
OOOH! It's been one of my ambitions to find a giant puffball since I was about 15  ;D

Saw a recipe for one in some sort of 'foraging around the countryside' book that me dad had!

By the way ... I do have OTHER ambitions. It's not my ONLY one!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 14:47:33 »

Here's a piccie of the cross-section, with £1 at the bottom for scale. Cool, eh? The hole in the middle is from where I tentatively stabbed it with a bamboo, not knowing what it was to start with! Could've been ectoplasm.

It's good to have an ambition in life, Trixie... Now, about that mushroom soap?!?!

[/quote]

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 14:54:46 »
Hmmm yes Ollie! I can see a 'range' being invented! Frothy Funghi Flavoured Foam Bars  ;D

And that puffball looks good enough to eat! What on EARTH were you doing poking it with a bamboo stick!! Never mind ectoplasm, it could have been a WW2 landmine  :o

ugly gourd

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 15:00:49 »
I picked my first field mushrooms yesterday  :D  There is normally giant puffballs where I take my dogs but there where the dogs all rush to its like not picking the blackberrys at the bottom!! :o

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 18:07:37 »
Me dear old dad recommended this bloke for mushroom identification

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

I think I will make mushroom-hunting my next obsession  ;D

I've got to do SOMETHING now my little lad Alfie is at school full-time  :'(

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 20:52:57 »
Cleared a bit of the border back at the weekend and these appeared this week! Edible? I can remember pouring water from a mushroom punnet there as it's next to the greenhouse.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/ninnyscrops/DSCF0219.jpg

If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 23:12:57 »
I found a few last year out when I was driving in the country side and cooked them, Got recipe from River Cottage web site. Try ed breaking a few up and planting around the allotment  where I thought it would be the  most humid. No luck, I contacted a guy on a website  who was an expert and he said it wasn't the bit above the ground you need to transplant but the large clump below the soil. I have driven up and down the roads and haven't seen them this year but have a spade in the boot in-case.
Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 04:10:29 »
Please bear in mind that they are only fit to eat while the flesh is white. Once they show yellow or worse, they should be discarded.

My cooking method:

Slice into pieces 1cm thick, dip into egg batter then fry with bacon. Yum Yum.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 08:47:59 »
We had a crop of these in our side lawn next to the cow meadow about 10 or 12 yrs ago.  We gave some to mushroom fiends, and cooked the rest in a variety of ways - butter and garlic, sauces and mushroom stew till sated and couldn't face any more.  They were enormous and delicious.   Haven't seen one since even though the ground has been left undisturbed apart from planting a hlly hedge along the boundary 5 years ago.  Maybe we'll get lucky this year with it being so cool and damp.
Obxx - Vendée France

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 16:42:15 »
My lecturer at uni (mycology) did tell us they were safe to eat but not to bother as he'd tried them and it was like eating boot leather. Obviously he didn't cook them the right way.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 18:12:49 »
Well, having now researched the matter further, I can safely say that Kea's lecturer had boots made from slugs!

Really quite an unpleasant & disappointing experience. IMHO as always.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 22:20:45 »
Cleared a bit of the border back at the weekend and these appeared this week! Edible? I can remember pouring water from a mushroom punnet there as it's next to the greenhouse.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/ninnyscrops/DSCF0219.jpg

Any chance of a pic of the underside? Leave the entire stalk in place, and show the whole lot. It's hard to identify them from a top view alone.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 09:19:36 »
If any more come up will post piccy of underside and stalk, but the slugs have beaten me to it with this lot!  From memory the gills were a light brown and the thick stalk was white with "fur" from ground level for about an inch.
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 17:15:37 »
Ours had neither stalks nor gills so maybe we picked them a bit younger.  They tasted fab and had a good texture - not at all slimy or leathery - and went wonderfully well with garlicky herby butter.
Obxx - Vendée France

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 23:44:57 »
Check out River Cottage web site for the recipie from HFW.
Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 11:04:28 »
Pullballs arrived in my garden after digging in loads of stable manure, but I've seen lots of them on the verges around the local small lanes.   Must be migration via the horses.

They only grow in the small cool strip in my garden, the sun blasted bit obviously kills off the spores.  They're small, but tough, forcing their wasy out of gaps in the paving too.  Never thought of eating them, but it's fun to "puff" when they go over ( holding my breath of course).

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 11:25:13 »
I picked a small giant puffball at the weekend from by Hadrian's wall.  Fried it when I got home and thought it ok, would eat it again if I came across any :-)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 21:36:06 »
I must get up there again; I walked the length of it once, years ago, and i want to spend some time up there looking at the remains again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal