Author Topic: conifer shreddings  (Read 1155 times)

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
conifer shreddings
« on: September 02, 2007, 14:06:28 »
I am the delighted owner of a *huge* amount of conifer shreddings, after cutting a 20ft hedge to a more manageable size and spending the whole of the bank holiday weekend shoving them through a hired chipper.

I've got about 2 cubic metres composting already and steaming away happily after only a few days. However, I've got at least 3 times as much left and my composting area is full!

Has anyone used them as mulch?

I figure they'll be fine under the (remains of) the conifers - and I've used them to crush the weeds on my newly acquired vegetable beds, which probably won't be in use until next year.   Or am I likely to run into trouble with it?

ajb
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
Re: conifer shreddings
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 16:00:12 »
I think conifer clippings/shreddings take an awful long time to compost, also I think they're a bit acid, personally I'd chuck them back under the hedge they came from.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 16:20:35 »
They do take ages to rot down.The sap is poisonous too.

I dont think I would bother composting,just bag up and get rid.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:59:58 »
Strawberries like them as a mulch because of the acidity, that's where our Christmas tree ended up this year and they did very well!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal