Author Topic: Seaweed  (Read 852 times)

mysterio_3d

• Not So New ...
Seaweed
« on: September 02, 2007, 08:57:42 »
I have just got my new allotment, all it has had on it for the last 4 years is loads of brambles which have just been cleared.  I was hoping to get some manure on before xmas but living near the coast there is a plentiful supply of seaweed which I have been told is just as good as farmyard manure.  If I collect some this week can I just add it straight to the soil whilst digging and can anyone confirm that it is good for the soil.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Re: Seaweed
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 09:29:58 »
Hi Mysterio, welcome to the site, I've also just got my lottie and hadn't thought of the seaweed thing, I live 5 minutes walk from the beach.  I've had a quick google and there seems to be a lot of talk of using calcified seaweed and liquid seaweed but nothing I've found seems to suggest putting it direct on the plot, although there was one suggestion of adding it to the compost heap.  But..... I'm no expert so someone else on here with more knowledge may be able to say otherwise. Enjoy your lottie!  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 10:10:45 »
Welcome.
I put a badload on my plot last year, after rinsing it, dissapeared into the soil really quickly, buy boy does it pong on a  hot day! :o :o :o
If you go into the search facility here, there is quite a bit of info on it. Here is one for starters!

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,521.0.html

Better get collecting, lucky you! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 10:37:18 »
NOT Calcified  - that's lime.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 11:38:20 »
it is actually calcareous magnesium algae (calcified seaweed)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal