Author Topic: lining and filling  (Read 11593 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
lining and filling
« on: February 17, 2004, 15:32:07 »
Should the carpet that I put over the liner be pile up or pile down or does it really not matter? (it's not rubber backed so I don't pollute the water.)

Over that I'm going to put a layer of soil rather than having plants in baskets. But I was thinking at the weekend about the logistics of this...

Should I:
a. pull the liner roughly to shape, put in desired amount of soil the fill with water?
b. partially fill with water then put soil in carefully where needed?
c. fill with water then throw the soil in and hope it settles in the right place?

As you can tell, I can't wait to get started!
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
gone to pot :D

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
Re: lining and filling
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 15:56:13 »
Never done it that way myself Aqui, so no much help really.  Just a thought tho, won't planting direct into pond make maintenance more difficult?

However, otherwise would have thought it sensible to put soil in first then gently fill with water.

As to the carpet, would have thought pile side down, so if you do need to shift plants might not damage roots so much as when they may be tangled in the pile.

I am sure Margaret will be around before too long to give you more sound advice.

Best of luck and happy wading  ;D ;D ;D
Muddy Boots

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 22:53:33 »
Hi Aquilegia.First of all,thanks for your message of congrats.Now that pond.Where on earth did you get the idea from of putting the carpet IN the pond.?

NO NO NO you are supposed to put it UNDER the liner!!It helps to stop any stones from piercing the liner.It will rot and foul the water if you put it in.The soil that goes in the pond you can either drop in when half full or completely full.If you put it in before filling it will make a right old mess when you fill up.It takes a while to settle of course,but once it does,then you can plant into it.Put a good layer in and leave a day or so.It will only stay in place once the plants or weed takes root,which isn't long.Any further advice,please do ask!
Margaret

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 23:02:13 »
Hi Aqualegia,  I dug my pond in Oct/ Nov and did it completely different.  Dug hole then lined with carpet, then layer of sand, then the liner.  I plan to plant in baskets so havent put any soil into the water itself.  I surpose that it depends on the size of your pond what you do.  Only good piece of advice I can give you is dont what ever you do try and fit the liner on a windy day.  Mine nearly took off and I had to throw myself the length of one side to keep in weighted down :DHysterical at the time.If you want to put soil in though I can only agree with Muddy and do it at the begining and then very gently put the water in.  Best of luck X
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 00:33:26 »
Thanks for confirming carpet thing Marg, thought that myself but, as my experience of ponds is based on only two that I made, not sure of my ground there.

Oh when I get a pond again, when I plant again, what a wonderful day it will be  ;D ;D ;D
Muddy Boots

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 16:18:11 »
Hi,

I've only been ponding myself for just under a year and as such am no expert on these such things but from my very limited experience I would be inclined to stay well away from planting directly into the pond.  As M_Boots mentioned previously this causes quite a lot of work when coming to maintaining the pond.

Pond plants are notoriously very vigorous, particularly some types of lillies, and as such can spread to fill large areas within the space of a couple of years if left unchecked.  Not only would keeping them in baskets prevent this from happening it would also make relocating the said plants easier should it be required.  I know from my own limited experience that a couple of the plants that haven't done particularly well in certain areas of the pond have since being moved flourished.

Tony

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 11:01:01 »
Thanks all!

Margaret - I read it in a book and saw someone do it on tele. But I won't do it now. (Leaves me more spare carpet to do other things with instead!)

I can't wait to get digging!
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal