Author Topic: Rather large jumping puppy  (Read 1945 times)

cocopops

• Acre
Rather large jumping puppy
« on: August 27, 2007, 19:39:01 »
I have posted a pic of my two new pups; Simba and Reggie.  It was taken in June so they are obviously alot bigger now.  Reggie the white Breton spaniel cross (younger by a month) is brilliant.  They are both the same size now but only Simba opens doors, steals food and jumps up constantly.

I friend of ours who was a dog handler,who prefers Simba's spirit, said the only way to stop him jumping up is to give him a really good kick on the chest.  Simba is a big boy now, and I am really fed up with his 'affections', but is this the right way to deal with it?  I have tried turning my back, 'goose-stepping' round the garden, but he still does it.  I only have experience of older rescue dogs and there is no obedience classes nearby.  I just need a few pointers.  Thanks.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Rather large jumping puppy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 23:07:57 »
Hi. Years ago my late brother-in-law who had a highly trained GS advised us to put our knee up when our GS kept jumping up, he also said don't let it appear as a scolding just stroke the dog and tell him/her "silly dog". The idea apparently is that the dog wil just think  they are doing something stupid. Fortunately Ricky grew out of the habit very quickly, most annoying if you or guests have decent clothes on and the dog has muddy paws!!!!
Our King Charles is too small for that and if you turn your back on her she just claws the backs of your legs. My late husband thoroughly spoilt her but recently every time my son comes he tells her very harshly "DOWN" and pushes her down, surprising how she is learning especially as I have put up with it for 7 years!! :)
Best of luck.
Lorna,
PS they are beautiful.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 08:23:50 »
I wouldnt have thought a kick in the chest was the best way. It may be the fastest, as if you hurt the dog, he will be frightened you will hurt him again, but not the best dog bonding exercise in the world ::)

I am a bit of a push over with our King Charles Spaniel, but my son is very good with him. Whenever he came in, he would ignore the dog, and within 2 to 3 weeks, the dog stopped jumping up on him, realising it was not going to get her any attention.

I have tried explaining this to our visitors, but they all say they dont mind and then give her the attention she was after, which reinforces the behaviour when visitors come :-\

Your dogs are BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Lorna : Must be something about Mums being soft and sons being sensible ;D

cj :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:25:27 by carolinej »

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 14:46:45 »
Awww aren't they gorgeous! :-*

I agree with Caroline. Kicking a dog in any way is a bad idea. :-\ That method was very popular until a few decades ago among professional dog trainers and handlers. Dog training has changed so much in a good way since. Many dogs will be traumatised if treated in such a way and if you do that there's a good chance of you ending up with a difficult dog, i.e. a nervous dog frightened of people.

My dog Eddie was mistreated before he was rescued and he still is very nervous. His way of dealing with his fear is aggression like many other nervous dogs. I love him to bits like my own child but he is not a joy to walk outside with. I have to watch every move he makes. He has made some improvements but the fear is so deeply ingrained that after over 3 years he still doesn't trust strangers. I don't think he ever will.

Aversion training creates more negative than positive. Try positive training like clicker training. I can recommend a book called 'Clicker Training For Dogs' by Karen Pryor. The book is widely available. The author has a website too, if you want to know what clicker training is like. http://www.clickertraining.com/

Basically you don't give your dog attention when he is doing something bad, like jumping at you. Cliker is used to mark dogs' good behaviour and acts as a praise. The good thing about clicker is it's easy for dogs to understand. Dogs don't necessarily understand what people say to them.

I used a clicker for training Eddie and it's done wonders. To stop him jumping up, I turned my back and ignored him when he was jumping at me and as soon as he stopped (his paws touched the floor) I clicked and gave him treats. Took only about 2 days to solve the problem and he hasn't jumped up since. He seems to have forgotten how to jump up.  8)

I think Simba is confused. He probably doesn't understand what you want him to do. He sounds like an intelligent dog, he just needs clear guidance.

Sorry for going on and on. ::) Good luck!

Tora :)

Emm P

• Half Acre
    • Living History
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 15:11:54 »
Well, I certainly wouldn't take my dogs to that trainer.
I agree with all above - dogs should NEVER be kicked - in the chest or anywhere else.
No outfit is complete - without dog hairs!!!

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 18:23:00 »
Thanks for all your advice.  I could not bring myself to hurt him as he has quite a 'needy' personality.  He grew really quickly, and I don't think he understands how big he is.  For the last few days I have been ignoring him when he jumps, and there seems to be some improvement.   

The clicker method sounds great.  My children return to school next week so I will have more time to spend with them both and there are a few other bad habits that need nipping in the bud.  I will see if I can get hold of the book and start training.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal