Author Topic: Any regulations restricting import of seeds?  (Read 2775 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Any regulations restricting import of seeds?
« on: June 06, 2004, 20:45:31 »
I was wondering if there are any regulations restricting the bringing into the UK of seeds from other countries. I know Australia has very strict regulations. I am not particularly interested in growing exotic plants from seed myself but my father is moving to the UK later this year from South Africa and I thought perhaps it would be a good idea for him to bring some seeds with him for me to trade on this website. I know that he would be able to bring Canna seeds, they grow like weeds on his farm! Would anyone be interested if he is allowed to bring the seeds here?
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
Re:Any regulations restricting import of seeds?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 22:51:16 »
Hi Jesseveve - yes, there are regulations, and I'm sorry, I don't knwo what they are.  :(

This link, http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/impexp.htm, may lead you to better information?

All best, Gavin

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 23:05:36 »
Thanks for the web link Gavin. Looks like bringing seeds here is not so straightforward so think I'll give that idea a miss. It is reassuring to know that there are regulations in place although I wonder how many people actually abide by them!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 16:04:39 »
Think you might be right there Jesse.  Just an afterthought as gavin usually covers all bases but might be worth looking at RHS site too.  After all, they are responsible for bringing in all kinds of seeds from all over, they may have some kind of arrangement for amateur suppliers?

Shame, as we import so many seeds and seedlings from SA and have done for years.
Muddy Boots

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 21:15:11 »
hi there, i got some seeds sent through the post from ruud who lived in HOLLAND!  (i think) so i dont suppose why you cant bring some from wherever they are coming from

thanks dannylewis
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 11:17:06 »
Rules are different for EU and non-EU countries, but normal seed from shops in EU are OK, except spuds IIRC.
Sumer is a coming in....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal