Author Topic: squash and stuff  (Read 783 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
squash and stuff
« on: August 29, 2007, 17:54:33 »
have been trying for 30 mins to post some pics. Just hope it works this time. the all male pattypans. the butternut that are gonna take over the plot and the 3 sisters that are proving very worthwhile. The cherokee are more prolific here than the ones out on the canes in the open, Perhaps it's the humidity created by the close contact with the sweetcorn and squash. The squash by the way are now starting to climb up the sweetcorn too. I'm just gonna leave them to it. It is fun getting ya head in to pick the beans though. If Lish comes over am gonn a give her that job pmsl
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 17:56:10 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Re: squash and stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 15:59:55 »
That looks great.  I also tried with 3 sisters method and the squash and corn are OK but the slugs devoured the poor beans.  Will have to try and get hold of some Cherokee Trail of Tears beans this year.  I tried with french and barlotti beans and they were just eaten.

Win some, loose some...

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 16:13:24 »
That patch looks smashing, well done I am jealous and impressed, XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 18:09:01 »
Have been to the plot today and yet again the beans within the 3 sisters have produced more than those on their own. We are going to make the patch bigger next year for sure cos the beans are lovely. I looked today and have a couple of butternut squashes in there.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 18:17:22 »
Well we have identical patty pans but my butternut squash just stopped once they were in the ground.  Since June when they went in, they have each managed about 6-8" of growth and no fruit whatsoever.  And I only have those cos the slimeys ate all my decent squash plants and these were the only plants I could get hold of. ::)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal