Author Topic: Winter spuds and Kale  (Read 818 times)

green sleeves

• Quarter Acre
Winter spuds and Kale
« on: August 28, 2007, 00:29:01 »
I have been looking for with some of the other allotmenters for autumn sown potato seedlings. All the places I have contacted have told me they have sold out . Anyone out there know where I can purchase any, I had thought of growing them in bins or bags but only want to use shop spuds as a last resort to reduce the chances of disease in the compost if it is spread over the ground next year.
Any one any thoughts on the matter, also looking for Kale but dont know what is the best and most usefull / tasty type to use. Please any help welcome , it's been such a poor year  with the bad weather but would like to have something to harvest over the winter to  make up for the hard work I put in.
 ???
Hello world
Green sleeves or green hair , it depends on the direction of the wipe. Dont fear untill you have to shake hands.
Aiden

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
Re: Winter spuds and Kale
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 08:36:49 »
Hi greensleeves,
                             Afraid I can`t help on the potato query, but as for kale I highly recommend cavalo nero, (seeds of Italy sell the seeds) If you are quick they should grow away all right & give you tasty leaves right through till spring. I sow mine at the end of July for planting out now we will be cropping the leaves from the end of September. They are like cut & come again salad leaves , just pick a few leaves at a time from each plant.
                                      Adrian.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal