Author Topic: Another wasted effort  (Read 718 times)

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
Another wasted effort
« on: August 24, 2007, 21:07:37 »
there are a number of plots that are completely overgrown with brambles on my site.  a bit of a black berry free for all.

So I decide, like Bob Marley, time for some jamming.  Start in the corner picking the berries.  Start to fight my way into the outer sections of the thicket because I don't want to deprive everyone else of the fruit by taking all the easy to get to stuff.  Slowly fill my bag, getting scratched and scraped as I go.  Finally get enough and just walk to the path side of the thicket to see how many berries are left.  And, bugger me, there's a new sign saying "Don't eat the fruit, it's just been sprayed". d**n, d**n, d**n.  :(

Apparently it's going to be turned into a nature reserve for schools to come and do stuff in.  Hope this means that they aren't going to turf out the foxes.  I'm getting quite attached to the fox family as they come and keep me company every evening when all the other plot holders have gone home.  OK, they have a stomp over the freshly dug beds and dig the odd hole them selves, but I think it's worth it just to be able to watch them frolicking in the grass.

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Another wasted effort
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 22:22:51 »
Reminds me of a visit to Wisley Gardens at this time of year, many years ago.

In the apple orchard there were warning signs not to eat the fruit as the trees had been sprayed with some noxious substance.

When you got back to the entrance gate, what were they selling?  Apples from the orchard???

valmarg

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Another wasted effort
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 22:33:53 »
I always say the sign of damage is good, if the pests can't eat it (and survive) I don't want to!
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal