Author Topic: Anybody been there?  (Read 1545 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Anybody been there?
« on: August 24, 2007, 11:20:13 »
I am taking the old campervan over to Germany next Friday. The area I am heading for is the Loreleyblick campsite at St. Gore. It looks good in all the brochures http://www.camping-loreleyblick.de/neu/index.php?lang=english.

Have any of you seasoned travellers ever been there and what did you reckon of it?

Also I have not been to Germany for a long time, 'Don't mention the war' comes to mind but is there any other taboo's I should watch out for apart from laughing at jokes.

With a bit of luck the foot and mouth restrictions should be lifted so I shall be able to take some milk, butter, etc. for the first few days until I can find a supermarket. And no, I did not say I shall be taking 'the old cow' with me.

I have been practising a bit of Beethoven on the squeezebox, I don't know why? He never played any of my stuff, why should I play his. But it might go down well with the natives.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: Anybody been there?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 19:56:12 »
 ;)

Wagner might go down better...

;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 21:37:49 »
It's not very often I do something right, but Germany has a voluntary  anti smoking scheme.  Just as well I am stocking up with a few thousand gauloises in Addenkirk.

The only way to wake up in the morning, gauloises and expresso.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 21:48:53 by ACE »

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 22:23:45 »
With a bit of luck the foot and mouth restrictions should be lifted so I shall be able to take some milk, butter, etc. for the first few days until I can find a supermarket. And no, I did not say I shall be taking 'the old cow' with me.

I'm off to Calais on Monday to stock up with a few essentials, and just had this E-mail from Sea France

"******************* Foot & Mouth *******************

We would like to advise DEFRA has introduced a ban on certain foods. It is now illegal to take MEAT, MEAT PRODUCTS, MILK and DAIRY PRODUCTS abroad.

The ban includes sandwiches, packed lunches and food for self-catering holidays. This covers fresh, chilled, frozen, tinned, preserved and processed products.

Apart from that, don't call their Mercedes VWs

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 22:43:55 »
I thought the "foot and mouth" restrictions had been lifted except for stuff from the area where the infection had occurred?

I'm not a great germanophile (although I teach German)  probably mostly because I'm so in love with the countries where romance languages are spoken. However!!! The Germans are very hospitable. Their wines and beers are top class. Their good wines never get to the UK. Their cakes are fabulous and so is their coffee. Their cars are great too and unlike the UK they still have an automotive industry. They have a history of excellence in literature, music, philosophy, engineering, all sorts of science and just about anything else you care to think of. And they are wonderfully friendly and kind folk.

Most young Germans are so far away from WW2  and WW1 that the war films are just as much like fiction for them as they are for kids here. When they know about it they are horrified and don't know what to do or say.

ACE I haven't been to the area you are going to but I have had wonderful times in Germany. it's a fabulous country with a rich and diverse culture and beautiful places to go. My husband's first wife was German and introduced him to the worlds of farming and civil engineering through her family and her brothers. He was besotted with Germany and all things German ... and then he met me! ;)

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 23:17:54 »
I thought I'd check grawc.

DEFRA say on their website "From 25 August, live animals and meat products can be exported from outside of the surveillance zone in Surrey to the rest of the European Union with additional veterinary supervision and certification."

The Sea France message came through today.  For peace of mind, still might be worth a phone call in advance though.  You won't find supermarkets or any general type shops open in Germany on a Sunday, and they shut at luchtime on a Saturday apart from one Saturday a month (lang Samstag or some such)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 00:19:40 »
Ace try Schubert! he's my fave boy. The impromptus are to die for.
Silverbirch I think it's safe but yes probably better to check first if you're exporting animal stuff.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal