Author Topic: Dealing with plot holders who do little or no cultivation  (Read 13928 times)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Dealing with plot holders who do little or no cultivation
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2007, 21:30:17 »
What have you done with all the brambles you cut down? Do they eventually rot down if left (once cut)?

Lauren  :(
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 23:54:04 »
Use the brambles to make rugged harvesting baskets or beehive skeps. Nothing should be wasted.

If left in a pile, they will take a number of years to compost down and will be a nuisance and a constant source of pest troubles. Burn baby, burn.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 00:15:25 »
What have you done with all the brambles you cut down? Do they eventually rot down if left (once cut)?
You can use the brambles to cover & protect plug plants, newly sown seeds from birds, mice and other predators till they take a good hold. Cheaper than netting.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 00:18:37 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2007, 07:57:15 »
Both plots on either side of us have been neglected. The one is also a newbie who got the plot a couple of days after us. But the guy on the other side seemed to be there all the time when we started, but we haven't seen him since April!
The newbies built a raised bed, planted salad, which all went to seed. They mattocked back some of the weeds and planted sweetcorn and a couple of marrow/pumpkin looking plants (they didn't even dig it over!) and that was that, the weeds were back up within a week and have continued to grow.
The guy on the other side planted parsnips, cabbage, beans, potatoes, brocoli etc. The potatoes were one of the first to get blight, and came and went (I thought at the time that it was sad, as he wouldn't know). Now his cabbages have been eaten by caterpillars, the beans are about a foot long, and his brocoli are looking lovely and ready to pick!
I am so tempted to complain about them both, but feel I have only been there 5 months, so don't have the right to complain, I am kind of hoping that the old guys on the other side of them will complain.
Last night when I went to my plot it was covered in white fluff from weeds that have blown from the 2 plots, I was very disappointed! I spend so much time weeding, hoping one day that I might get on top of it all (I know that I will never be weed free, but I am told that it does get easier after about 3 years!)
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2007, 20:38:37 »
the brambles are drying off ready to be burnt in a few weeks (no fires on the plot till the end of the month)

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 16:50:59 »
When a commercial property is let to a new tenant, there is almost always a "rent free period" This can be from 3 months to a year, depending on the state of the office/shop/whatever, and is negotiated between leeor and lessee.

Out allotments sometimes operate like this(Hook/Chessington),or by giving the first year at half price. At £47.50 full annual rental, a reduced rental or zero rent period seems sensible and fair, particularly if there are brambles etc to dig out/drainage to put in, blah blah blah...

Reading various posts about how allotments are run around the UK I think I will stop moaning about ours, as although there are faults and some irritating problems, these seem minor in comparison to what I read happens elsewhere.
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

Superstar

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 22:44:47 »
If someone falls ill their nearest allotment holders/friends cover their plot too until they are better.  Frail and old lottie holders are also helped in the same way.  Usually this doesn't take too much effort because they have held their plots for a long time and they are in good nick.

Part of our allotment was reopened after 15 years and it has been hell getting anyone to take them because of the sheer hard labour to get them started.
Give me strength - please!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 23:01:25 »
I can well understand that; I ended up with a pile of rubbish six feet high and twenty feet across, and that was only the stuff I couldn't burn. That first year I dug and piled the turf for ten months solid. But you get there in the end. I still haven't finished spreading the piles of soil from the turf.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 21:16:11 »
Personally I reckon plotholders who neglect plots should be shot and buried under the compost heap!!!!!

The bloke who had mine used it in the end as a dumping ground - he was a builder - and then every other so-and-so followed suit - it was in a  right state when I took over!

There's no excuse for neglected plots to be left for years when sites have such long waiting lists (mine now has 80+).

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 22:58:18 »
Halving a plot sounds a good idea for new people to make a start and they could stay on the list till the other half is available or another whole or half one.
Bit annoying to have to move to a whole one after all the work though.

A lot of people would do well on half the size if they are not there regular and would utilise every bit of space

I personally had great satisfaction in taking over a tip and transforming it.

we didn`t have to wait for first plot but now the list is long but a few older people have given up after letters from the boss.

Good luck

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2007, 22:58:35 »
In most cases I agree with you, though I'd tend to be very understanding when the guy's been there 20 years and just can't cope any more. Our trouble is that it takes so long for the Council to get rid of non-cultivating plotholders (we just got shot of one after several years) that by the time they do go, the plot's inevitably in a real mess.

stig

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2007, 19:30:14 »
my society has a *must be cultivated order*many peeps come down in the new rental year and strim away,then dissapear for another year.
time for a change of commitee me thinks
im stig (thats short for stig in the mud)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2007, 19:57:44 »
If you want to overthrow the regime, be prepared to run the new one!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2007, 20:01:46 »
Tell me about it... our AGM on Wednesday, after a coup in the summer...
Something is going to hit the fan!
 ::)

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2007, 16:57:03 »
Sounds ominous SD!
Are you new regime or old?
Or just a spectator?

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2007, 17:52:58 »
Both... one of only two survivors of the old regime, Treasurer to boot!
 :-\

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 20:45:49 »
Oh wow, let us know how you get on. ;)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 22:37:28 »
Watch this space...  :-X

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2007, 23:16:39 »
Having been responsible for the recent plot surveys and identification of our less than cultivated plots, shall I attend my first AGM as a committee member in full riot gear? :-\ 8)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2007, 07:24:32 »
Deb P,

If it is anything like ours .. 1/3rd will accept your findings and set to work .. 1/3rd will complain vociferously but eventually do some work .. and 1/3rd will dig their heels in, spreading rumours such as he/she has it on good authority that you plan to kill the first born of all plot holders as part of their campaign against you. One guy has told our council that raised beds should be banned as part of his personal crusade.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal