Author Topic: shelless egg?!?!?!  (Read 1777 times)

DadnDom

• Half Acre
shelless egg?!?!?!
« on: August 23, 2007, 22:15:46 »
I've just gone to shut the door on my girls for the night and have just caught Mildred my brahma eating an egg with no shell that I think one of my warrens laid. What are the main causes of an egg being laid without an egg? Is it something serious? They are all free range but aslo have a bowl of layers pellets and corn out in the garden.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: shelless egg?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 22:54:27 »
You need to cull the hen that is eating eggs immediately. Clear away any broken eggs. I had one that did this - then they all got a taste. Within a week I went from a dozen eggs daily to zero. They were laying and turning round to eat their eggs. Once they get a taste it is almost difficult to impossible to stop.        I had to get a new flock.

Here are some responses but I had no joy. I segregated them for 4-6 weeks prior to getting rid.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,31793.0.html
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 23:07:21 »
Often the first eggs and lack of calcium in the diet.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 23:16:32 »
I couldn't kill her  :o
They have been laying for about a month now so it's not a first egg. I don't have any grit out for them i thought they would have enough grit as they are free range and half the garden is gravel. I will get them some grit tomorrow and give them a week and see if this makes a difference. I really don't think I could cull Mildred.  :( :(

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 23:22:14 »
I couldn't kill her  :o
 I really don't think I could cull Mildred. 

I am not saying get rid immediately. Let me rephrase:
Segregate her for 7-10 days in a small space from all other hens. A small cage of something. During this time  - see if she stops. If you continue to get half eaten eggs then you will have to cull or you will end up with no eggs.

You could try trimming the tip of her beak down so she can't break the shell. See if this works but definitely segregate her sooner rather than later.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

DadnDom

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 23:51:59 »
I'm pretty sure the egg didn't have a shell. I cleared away what was left of the egg but there was no shell at all. Could she of eaten it just because it had no shell?

They all lay in the same nest box and they all go in one after the other and will happily lay on each others eggs lol She's never eaten an egg beofre today.

I will just keep an eye on them and see how they go. Will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the advice though.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 22:28:55 »
Get them some mixed grit. Its only about £4 and it's better to be safe than sorry. I put mine in a trough made out of drainpipe which they can access freely.They unfortunately don't get all they need from free ranging.Hens do lay the occasional shelless egg anyway so don't get too worried.  I was once very amazed to see one of my hens crouch down in the outside pen,looking like it was about to have a poo like a dog  :o ...out popped a shelless egg and lots of my other hens pounced on it and ate it. I have since not suffered mass egg eating and I would never kill any of them for doing it anyway. If you are really worried about egg eating try looking in the nest more often than usual and take the temptation away.   

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal