Author Topic: What do I look for???????  (Read 2363 times)

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
What do I look for???????
« on: June 23, 2004, 18:47:39 »
I'm expected to hear from the secretary of the site near to me on Monday so I can go choose a plot.
I know all the vacant plots need a serious going over with a weed whacker but I was wondering what the how do I choose a plot that will work best. What do I have to look for? Any special requirements for that decent slice of England?

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
Re:What do I look for???????
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 20:53:41 »
Speaking as a complete novice I would have thought the more fertile the ground, the bigger the weeds. Of course this is a bit of a problem when you come to try and get rid of them. My ground is extremely fertile as the nettles, docks, grass, bindweed and all the other nasty weeds are discovering. >:( I would say pick a plot that you like and is close to the water pipes. Pick a plot next to someone that has an extremely neat plot. I have a very neat plot next door and behind. The other side is also a new plot holder that seems to have gone off the idea because I haven't seen him for a few months. The land is going to get overgrown again (recently rotovated) and I'll have seeds blowing onto my plot.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 21:39:41 »
See if you can get a plot which has a shed or similar on it - then at least you shall have somewhere to shelter in bad weather.

Whatever you choose, you can be sure that other plot holders will want to help out with spare plants , hints, tips etc..

A good aspect West or S/West is helpful for sunshine to ripen up your produce and help it grow.

Other more seasoned experienced bods will advise you.

Good luck!

Debs

MissBaritone

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 11:27:21 »
Look for a site with a nice secure fence around it. I've just learnt that one the hard way

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 13:38:55 »
Try and locate one near the water supply - you can spend a long time walking back and forth.....she said knowingly!
AC  ;)
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 18:54:30 »
Hi Trailrat - have you popped round to the site on a sunny (???) Sunday afternoon?  Worth doing, and getting into conversation with a few of the plot-holders - they'll probably keep you right!

Just a coupla things to add to all the good advice you've already got above:-
  • History of vandalism?  Security?
  • How much ground has broken glass, concrete, bricks, "collapsed structures" :)
  • And "read the weeds"; watch for weeds like sedges, which like waterlogged conditions (you have a drainage/flooding problem); rejoice in stinging nettles - you have a good fertile soil.
  • Ask about the kind of soil - clay, sand, loam?

Good luck with it - Gavin

TrailRat

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 19:00:47 »
Been round to the site but locked gate prohibites entry. Good or Bad sign?????? Never seems to be anyone else there when I go even on a sunday and last sunday I ended up almost camping on the gate. As for weed identifaction, the only one I could identify would be a nettle and those seem scarce from what I can see thru the fence.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 19:32:41 »
the fact you can't get in as a non-plot holder is a very good sign!  People do plot at strange times so you can't judge by the number of people at the site - but you probably can judge by how well-tended the plots are.  

A friendly helpful secretary is probably worth his or her weight in gold and would hopefully have all the answers for you - mind you, as you were hoping to hear on Monday, perhaps time management isn't the secretary's forte!

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 19:33:37 »
sorry, ignore that comment - I thought your original post was earlier than yesterday!  Mind you, a time travelling secretary would truly be worth their weight in gold!

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 19:41:04 »
You can't get in?  Looking good!!!!!!!!!  :) :) :)

All best - Gavin

TrailRat

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 22:41:00 »
Time management isn't a problem for the sec, she's just on holiday. I was told this by her daughter over the phone. Plots that are there look ok apart from one that looks tended but a little run down. Thanks for your advice, keep it coming.

TrailRat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal