Author Topic: Good Rick Stein recipe for your greens  (Read 20513 times)

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
Good Rick Stein recipe for your greens
« on: August 19, 2007, 12:07:21 »
Made this from Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes Programme the other day, perfect for all you greens!
What a lovely man he is too!!!!

I adapted it, I used parmesan instead of the other cheeses and used swiss chard and kale WOW!!!!!!!

Baked Greek omelette with wild greens, herbs, leeks and feta   

Serves 6

We don't have the same wild greens as they do in Corfu, so use brassicas such as curly kale, cavalo nero, or watercress or rocket, as well as as chard, and spinach or sorrel. You can also slip in the odd dandelion leaf and some wild garlic.
Ingredients
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
250g/8¾oz leeks, trimmed, cleaned and thinly sliced
250g/8¾oz mixed leaves (for example, curly kale, watercress, spinach or sorrel, see above), washed, dried and shredded
8 large free-range eggs, lightly beaten
3 tbsp chopped mint
3 tbsp chopped dill
175g/6¼oz Greek feta cheese, crumbled
25g/1oz grated Greek kefalotiri cheese or parmesan cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/320F/Gas 3.
2. Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in a deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add the leeks and cook gently for ten minutes until soft.
3. Add the remaining oil and the mixed leaves to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until they have wilted down and are just tender.
4. Tip the greens into a bowl and add the eggs, mint, dill, crumbled feta, grated kefalotiri or parmesan cheese, ½ teaspoon salt and some freshly ground black pepper.
5. Oil a shallow, round, 20cm/8in non-stick cake tin, pour in the mixture and bake for about 45 minutes or until just set.
6. Serve the chunky omelette with a simple tomato and onion salad and some bread.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Good Rick Stein recipe for your greens
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 12:48:09 »
The recipe sounds good - watch the programme myself - just love watching everything he does!!

so enjoying this latest programme 'Mediterranean Escapes'

not only do we get treated to the lovely recipes but the spectactular scenery as he moves around the areas, meeting up with the locals who come over as lovely warm dedicated people who totally care about their foods  (unike some of the awful people/tourists he interviewed and asked them what they wanted to eat!! :o things like burgers & chips :o ) why on earth do they go to such beautiful places if they don't want to 'throw themselves' into the whole picture?

also a good slice of history thrown in when Rick tells us about 'particular places and love the way he 'borrows' snatches of quotes from various books...on this occasion quotes and paragraphs from Gerald Durrell

I just can't get enough of that man!.....he's gorgeous - I miss Chalky tho :'(

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 13:02:44 »
I don't even eat meat and fish and I love watching his programmes! he really gets stuck into the culture of the places he visits!

I could have slapped those girlies who just ate burger and chips! DOH!!!! Part of going away is trying the local food!

Awwwww know what you mean about Chalky, did you see the picture of him in his kitchen

We'll have to set up a Rick Stein fan club eh!! What a dude!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 20:07:52 »
But his Wife left him??

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 20:10:38 »
He can't do everything right. Perhaps he has smelly feet - or snores.  ;) ;)
The Tuscan Beaneater

Biscombe

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 20:11:27 »
Hehheheh!!!!

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 21:05:06 »
Loved the programme on Corfu. I will also try the pea and artichoke dish next year!

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 11:40:34 »
I read somewhere recently (or maybe he mentioned it) that his ex wife runs their Padstow restaurant very successfully with others of course, so they must get on ok or she'd have cleared right off completely!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal