Author Topic: Fish in pond.  (Read 1860 times)

legendaryone

• Hectare
Fish in pond.
« on: August 16, 2007, 22:03:38 »
I have a bath/pond at my allotment which has frogs in it, it is a new pond and i was given some fairy weed and some oxygenating weed. I now have fish in the pond which i presume were eggs on the weed. What kind of fish are they likely to be ? There seem to be two different types one similar to a stickleback and one which is transparent with an orange stomach. None at the moment bigger than an inch.
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: Fish in pond.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:00:44 »
The ones with the orange stomachs are probably goldfish or something closely related like shubunkin the others could be stickleback some people keep them. Why not ask the person who donated the plants what they keep in their pond.

I would be inclined to find an alternate home for them for 2 reasons firstly a bathtub pond wouldn't usually be deep enough to support fish they are likely to either starve unless you fed them or die in the winter because it wouldn't be deep enough. The second reason is that fish are one of the worst things you can have in a wildlife pond they will eat frogspawn & newt eggs & maybe the tadpoles as well.

legendaryone

• Hectare
Re: Fish in pond.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 07:49:14 »
I thought that they might be gold fish :) I know they will eat the frogspawn  :( I'll just have to find them a good home or make another pond  :-\
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal