Author Topic: touchy subject !!  (Read 2575 times)

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
touchy subject !!
« on: August 14, 2007, 16:12:21 »
I've just had another visit from the in-laws  ::), I must say I haven't had so many visits as I have had recently,not only from them, but quite a lot of the family. ???

now as this is my first year growing veg, I'm obviously delighted with the results, and did give them stuff to try, toms, runner beans etc, at first, now they are, asking for more  :-\

I don't have an allotment, just my back garden, so I don't grow the amounts to have a glut ! I did have ideas of filling the freezer with produce that OH and I could eat through the winter.............. but so far I haven't frozen that much

when I do chutneys and pickles and jams they want some as well

now how do I tactfully refuse when they ask for more?  :-\

do you think I'm being mean?  :-\
Life is to short !!!

Si D

• Acre
    • North Birmingham CTC
Re: touchy subject !!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 16:14:14 »
Try giving them a few packets of seed instead - and tell them that next year you'll expect a return of the crops you gave them this year  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 16:16:23 »
yes good idea, tell them how easy it was and offer to share the seeds.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 16:32:34 »
don't forget you're growing for you as well, if you want to share, invite them for a meal, I used to get shopping lists from some of mine , I don't boast about how well we do any more,  ;D

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 16:43:35 »
I can sympathise. my mum suggested that I grow some strawberries so that I can make jam for her :o
I suggested that I buy her a strawberry tower and some strawberry plants for a christmas/birthday present and she could make her own!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 16:54:49 »
I tend to put people off when I tell them I wee in the compost.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 17:03:04 »
I tend to put people off when I tell them I wee in the compost.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If that doesn't work then tell them to return the produce after they have processed it so it can go on the humanure heap to guarantee you get the same quality veg next year. Once they work out what that means they will never ask you again.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 17:03:53 »
I think a lot of people who don't garden assume that it's pretty effortless - we just bung in a few seeds & pick it later on. They don't see the time, effort & cost that we put in. It's not all unpleasant I know, but it's hard work & we do it for reward.

I don't care if I appear a bit stingy - there's very rarely a glut here (I grow as many different things & varieties as possible) so anything I give away really is a gift.

I offered our neighbours some spuds recently & they said, "only if you have a glut". "No I don't have a glut, I'm being kind. These are a present."

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 18:17:28 »
May I suggest for the veg you give them the odd bagful and include the usual lodgers - Slugs, worms, caterpillars etc.

For the jars of produce, you need to hide them away. Out of sight is out of mind.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 19:05:16 »
Just be straight forward with them.Tell them that if they want nice healthy fresh veg then they must grow their own. Or when they ask for some just say that you've had to spray it and it won't be edible for a while. In the meantime either get it into your belly or freeze it. I hate bl***y scroungers
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 19:27:21 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 19:09:35 »
Considering Morrisons was selling Caulis at £1.99 each today - can you do a trade off of any sorts cos its gonna hit the bank balance you if you run out. Childcare, DIY. ???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 20:48:43 »
why not ask them to contribute to seeds and compost and grow bags etc tell them it might be home grown and fresh but that doesnt make it free explain how much the basics cost then add on labour etc, ask them to buy it even its not theirs by right

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 22:39:56 »
 :)thanks for all your comments

I did joke today, as I passed the carrier bag of produce to them,' that'll be a fiver then'...'just send me an invoice' was the reply..ah well ::)

it's not the money really...its the cheek....I choose to give............................I don't like being asked, as the saying goes,........refusal may offend

anyway cheers again guys   I'll just have to say no (none left ;D,white lie)
Life is to short !!!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 11:17:34 »
What about saying that you simply don't have enough at the moment?

Had to do that myself when I was getting asked for eggs left, right and centre...then found I didn't have an egg in the house for me.  I charge them £1 a doz now...I don't want to make money particularly but it helps feed my chooks.

Think asking your folks to look out for packets of seeds is a good idea...fair exchange...as long as you make sure you have enough produce for yourself first.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 12:07:44 »
To be fair, I don't think people are always being scroungers in this situation.  Sometimes they're trying to be kind and encourage you, perhaps in the way that you'd enthuse over a small child's drawing.  "Oh, that's lovely! Can you do me another one?"

But there's a very easy way to put off scroungers that doesn't involve you looking mean or in some way making a profit from them.

Just find a suitable charity event to support, get some leaflets or material, and enthusiastically say that you're supporting it through your gardening.  In return for the tomatoes or whatever, get them to write a cheque or pop some money in a charity envelope.  "Twenty pounds is what most people give!" will prevent the scrounger from coming up with 50p.

;D ;D ;D

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 12:10:47 »
A bag of 'glut veg' in exchange for a days weeding!!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 12:38:49 »
Next time they admire something simply say, if I have any spares after I have taken what I need,WHEN THEY ARE READY  you will be welcome.Set the ground rules before it gets out of hand. You are not telling porkies then. If when you have finished  packing for the winter then share.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 13:06:15 »
when I do chutneys and pickles and jams they want some as well
I take that as a compliment!  If you can't spare any more, give them the recipe.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 13:24:46 »
Next year grow 7 or 8 gourgette plants - there my main give away if people ask for stuff. Not much hassle to grow - and you always end up with too many anyway..
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal